4 | Leila Hawthorne

THE WEEK FLEW BY FASTER THAN DALLAS expected, and before she knew it, it was already Friday - not that she was complaining. Being just the second week of school, things weren't starting to heat up yet with many of her subjects, but biology and mathematics were exceptions, for her classes were already starting to delve into more complicated matters like trigonometry and intricate plant processes.

Gradually too, Dallas was starting to feel lighter and more relaxed about being her suspension. After seventeen full years of competitive swimming and raking in medals, maybe it was time for a break after all.

When the bell went off that day, she broke away from her group of friends and kissed Sebastian goodbye before she promptly made her way down the hall, clicking the power button on her phone to see the time.

1:05 p.m.

Already five minutes late, but Dallas brushed that off. One reason was that Mrs. Troublefield always came to class ten minutes or more late, and two, Dallas didn't particularly care for the class very much. Unlike all her other classes that had gotten somewhere so far, all they did in HFLE so far was cover the basics of human reproduction and meet their partners for the baby project, which was another pain in and of itself. While all the other pairs naturally drifted towards each other, sitting together in classes and getting along, Dallas gave up after two tries with Mathias. She was always the one making an effort, be it sitting with him for a few minutes or attempting conversation starters or some form of small talk.

So far, all Dallas knew about Mathias Starr was that he was seventeen, soon to be eighteen, that he was mute, his apparent dislike for communication with anyone besides Beckett, and his stubbornness when it came to getting his ass off his chair at the back and moving towards the front to sit with Dallas. As soon as the clock touched 2:40 pm on the two days that had HFLE in the afternoon, he was off his seat and packing, and out the door he went. His disinterest and sketchy attitude spoke volumes. Dallas couldn't read him. She wasn't sure if she even wanted to, anyway.

Honestly, it wasn't important for Dallas to know Mathias on an intricate level (and she was almost sure that was the case for Mathias too), but seeing that they were stuck together until May, it wouldn't hurt to be associates or distant friends at the very least.

Dallas channeled her to something more productive and interesting, like the memory of making a long overdue trip to the all-in-one salon Sebastian booked at Springhill Mall and getting an overdue makeover; a gorgeous black lace frontal wig installed, her eyebrows waxed, pedicure and manicure, as well as stocking up on makeup supplies she ran short on. Primer, foundation, lashes, and everything in between, Sebastian made her pick out the best ones and paid for it all despite her gripes and modest refusals. Her cheeks heated with a blush when she remembered how her boyfriend's eyes rolled over her in adoration that evening, how passionately he kissed her and dotted on her beauty before they walked hand-in-hand along the pier.