29 | Secrets And Revelations Unedited

Mathias | Dallas

Mathias | Dallas

DALLAS'S EYEBROWS SCRUNCHED TOGETHER AS SHE looked at the seemingly endless rows of products sprawled out on shelves positioned on either side of the walkway. Her trolley rattled precariously as it rolled over a bump on the blue and white floors, the vibrations coming to a standstill only when she caught sight of a bright red card dangling off the shelf. She parked next to it and read the sign.

30% off Curl La La products.

"This can't be so bad," Dallas mumbled to herself as she pulled her trolley to a stop and jerked it out of the way. She hesitated as her eyes flitted over the products in front of her, her hoop earrings bouncing against her neck every time she turned her head.

Dallas reached for two random jars, careful not to have them slip from her hands and smash on the floor. Her squinting eyes swiftly perused the cylinder in her left hand before darting to the other product in her right hand. One claimed to be a protein treatment for maximum moisturization while the other was branded as a deep conditioner, its purple and white label putting forth its supposed hydrating qualities.

What was the difference?

Dallas already knew she should have opted for something that gave her moisture, but standing there in that shop made her think twice about what she wanted or needed, especially when a catalog of other products sprawled out on the lines of counters below and above the one, she primarily focused on. Leave-in conditioners, mega growth oils, hot oil treatment, shampoos, and conditioners; the list of labels, colours, and declarations seemed endless.

The other women in the aisle seamlessly moved back and forth, grabbing products off the shelves without even reading the labels. They all had silky straight hair that bounced under their necks or over their shoulders as they strutted with confidence, nose in the clouds. Confusion mingling with a pint-size of embarrassment dawned on Dallas, making her wonder if it was all worth it.

Especially since Mathias went missing in action within minutes of stepping through the automatic sliding doors of the establishment. He ducked into a random aisle and vanished in thin air; calling wouldn't make sense either.

She flipped her phone out and easily navigated to their empty chat history. She cleared it earlier, initiating a new stream of conversation as her fingers sprinted across her broad phone screen.

traitor

i can't believe you ditched me

where are you?

Dallas tapped send. She glanced around as she tapped her finger on the handle of her trolley, waiting for the single sent tick to turn into a double delivered tick. It never happened, which confirmed her suspicion that maybe he wasn't only a homebody, but lacked the knowledge that Mallmart offered free wifi.