20 | On Edge

"All right everyone, that's a wrap

"All right everyone, that's a wrap. Great work today," Coach Asia announced to the group of students lined up before her. She clapped her hands, the sound echoing through the silent gymnasium that was once previously booming with the sound of shouts and splashing water. "My only comment is to remind you guys to work on your techniques some more. Practice makes better."

"Crea, that one goes for you especially. It's up and out for the breaststroke, not up and wiggle. You're not a fish. You should know this," Asia aimed towards a ginger girl standing towards the end of the line, which elicited some snickers from the other students. She clapped once more, this time to signal that she was done. "Alright everyone, you're dismissed."

Voices echoed down the hallway as the students disbursed, heading towards the lockers. Dallas was one who stood amidst the team, towel slung over her neck and goggles snapped back onto her cap. Desperate to leave and get out of her tight and wet swimsuit, she turned to leave with the rest of the team. Her clothes weren't the only thing to worry about; swim caps only gave the hair so much protection from the chlorinated waters. She already began sulking at the thought of the hairs by her ear and nape reverting as a result of the hours she spent frolicking in the pool.

The sound of her name brought her steps and plans to a premature hiatus.

"Dallas, may I have a word please?"

Dallas glanced over her shoulder at coach Asia for a moment before she turned completely, adorning the woman with her full attention. "Yeah, of course," She pressed her towel to her ear and tilted her head to the side, gently coaxing water out of her ear. That was her fault, having forgotten her earplugs yet again.

Coach Asia gave a short nod before her dark blue eyes dropped to the clipboard in her hands. "56 seconds. That was your best time today," she looked up, her gaze laser-focused and questioning as if waiting for Dallas to defend herself.

"I'm still trying to get back into it. I know I will eventually, but it's taking some time to come back, you know?" Dallas responded, referring to the weeks she spent off the team, nose buried in her textbooks instead of water. The shortness of days almost felt foreign to her then, as if they never happened. "I'll be ready for next week, so don't worry."

Coach Asia nodded, her stern expression softening just a bit. "I hope so too. If you're willing to put in the work, then anything is possible. The sky is the limit," she said. "It's ... good to have you back in the team, Dallas. You're still one of our best athletes," a frown appeared on her lips and she corrected herself, "Or was, rather, but let's not worry too much. You'll get back to that level."

50 seconds.

To go from a 57 to 50 didn't seem like much to an average person, but to someone who'd been swimming since she was born, it was a lot, and not only that, but it was daunting too. Speed was everything, and that came from having the right mindset plus the technique to thread the waters. Getting back in her element and subsequently reducing her time to what it used to be felt daunting, and impossible.