25 | My Favourite Person At Now

Mathias | Dallas

Mathias | Dallas

DALLAS HUGGED HERSELF AS SHE STEPPED OVER the threshold and entered the house, her heart pounding in her chest. Though calmed by the warmth that greeted her upon entry, her senses were still on alert because, judging by the white glow leading the way to the kitchen, she knew her father hadn't gone to sleep yet.

Dallas anxiously glanced at the time on her phone.

10:56 p.m.

Albert was still up, waiting for her.

For a slight moment, Dallas stood on the brink of fear and resolution, swaying between both realities. Her nervousness cooed soothingly at her, urging her to sprint upstairs and lock her door before her father even had a clue that she came home, while her resolution instructed her to strut into the kitchen right then and there.

The more she lingered, the more the fear grew. It overthrew the other factor to consider as it conjured multiple reasons in her mind as to why she shouldn't go to her father now, to just put it off until later. Dallas moved silently to the dark staircase, her hand running over the polished mahogany staircase.

She took a deep breath, putting her thoughts on mute.

She released the banister and walked to the kitchen without another thought. Her knees buckled occasionally and her feet felt more and more akin to jello the closer she got, but her steps never once halted until she stepped further into the light, until she was bathing in it. Squinting to adjust to the stark change in lighting, she perked up at the sound of her name.

"Dallas."

Sitting at the table was none other than Albert. The light from his phone seemed to accentuate the sagging bags under his tired, reddened eyes, and the two half-empty cups of coffee before him made it clear that he really forced himself awake all night. As they met eyes across the room, Dallas opened her mouth to explain while simultaneously bracing herself to get yelled at. When Albert hopped off the stool and stalked towards her, she readied herself for the latter.

Once he came close enough, her father suddenly swept forward, into a crushingly tight embrace.

Dallas's eyes widened and she tensed up at first, but soon all her shock and anxiety melted away, guilt and understanding flooding in right after. Albert's feint cologne wafted around Dallas, filling her with the sense of calm she always yearned for; it was the same hug he pulled her in every time she won a gold or silver medal at the swimming competitions she aced in the past. It was typically the 'I'm proud of you' hug, but now, it felt a bit different.

Different because Dallas knew Albert was thoroughly disappointed in her.

Albert broke away from the embrace first holding his daughter out at arm's length. "I was worried sick. I've been calling you since 4 o'clock today. Didn't you see the missed calls?" he gestured toward her pockets. "Check your phone."