26 | Marcella And Arthur Starr

TW: a brief instance of self-harm.

Mathias | Dallas

MATHIAS NARROWLY RESISTED THE URGE to slam his fist against his own forehead.

Stupid.

Stupid, stupid.

Stupid idiot.

He claimed the title for all variations of idiot, stupid, jackass, and moron ever to exist. He channeled all his frustration into the next punch he threw, pretending that the makeshift punching bag represented his idiocy and the staggering need to sock himself in the face.

The punching bag jerked away at the next hard hit, and Mathias broke away from it, clearing his wet hair off his sweaty forehead. He took heavy breaths as he bounced on his heels again, feeling sweat trickle down his back as he prepared for the next hit. His discordant eyes watched the punching bag, heavily and haphazardly swinging from forward and backward before coming to a slow stop.

How typical of him for wanting to take an inch when given a mile.

Dallas simply handed him the coupons as thanks for helping her out with her dad, yet Mathias wanted to take it a step further and actually ask her out to go to the Cookie Cutter with him. That was the first sin.

Then the second sin was standing there, frozen as he watched Sebastian kiss her.

The second Sebastian looked up at him, he grew visibly tense, angry, and having seen and heard of that reaction too many times to count in his own life. The dangerous glare Mathias's father aimed his way as he shoved Marcella into the wall, too drunk to care, daring Mathias to come forward and play 'hero'.

All of a sudden, it didn't just seem like a guy kissing a girl anymore.

It was two people who weren't compatible, not even in the slightest, just like Marcella and Arthur.

Or was Mathias just overanalyzing everything again?

No, it wasn't just that.

Despite how much Mathias tried suppressing his feelings, they were not spewing everywhere, and he hated himself for what his emotions told him.

Mathias loathed himself for wishing, for a split second, that he was the one in Sebastian's position.

Of course, he'd develop a crush on the one girl that actively tried to befriend him. On someone's girlfriend, no less.

Because that's what stupid, insecure people did; get clingy and attached to someone after a simple act of kindness.

Mathias punched the punching bag again.

Being an inexperienced virgin was the worst.

He loathed himself, and he hated his dumb feelings.