39 | A Genuine Laugh

The emotional rollercoaster officially starts here :)

Buckle up, ghost readers. We're about 60% through this book.

Mathias | Dallas

Mathias | Dallas

Unreal.

THAT WAS THE SINGLE WORD BOUNCING AROUND Mathias's head as he sat in his new room, lips parted in awe as he did the hundredth take of his surroundings; even then, unreal didn't even come close to describing the emotions sweeping over him. Though he'd been there for a day already, he still couldn't believe that someone like him could experience the luxury of that caliber.

His discordant eyes moved from the illuminated ceiling fan fixed in the high ceiling to the LED wall sconces situated at either side of his bed before finally moving to and stopping on the translucent walls that gave him a front-row view of the snow-laden hills and the two other nearby chalet mansions. Snow danced in the soothing morning light, a choreographed ballet conducted by the gentle wind. As Mathias continued ingesting the idyllic view, a sudden hush fell over him, and he allowed his eyes to flutter closed, shoulders slackening.

He remained like that for a while, with his head leaning back on the velvety cushion headboard behind him, enjoying the feel of the warm cotton sheets engulfing him and warding off the cold. Eventually, he opened his eyes and instinctively peered into the mirror across the room, just above the mounted flat-screen television. His reflection stared back at him, his messy bed hair, half-naked frame, and flushing shoulders. The bed sank beneath his elbows as he crossed the bed and switched off the sconce lights.

Waking up in Sebastian's mansion was unlike anything Mathias had ever experienced before.

The coldness from the m wooden floor soaked through the soles of his feet as he reluctantly dragged himself off the bed. He perched at the edge as he peered at his mangled reflection. First, he combed his long fingers through his unruly hair before flopping it to the back of his head and heading to his suitcase to find a shirt.

There was a knock at the door, the rapping of fingers to the board reverting throughout the room.

"Mathias? I'm coming in!"

The door cracked open a second later, and Beckett popped her head in. Upon spotting her best friend, she grinned and let herself in.

"Good morning."

"Morning," Beckett absently replied as she glanced around the room as if she was taking it all in for the first time. "Whoa, this room is really, really nice."

"You saw it last night. Besides, your room looks exactly the same," Mathias signed, but Beckett didn't hear him: she'd already moved past him and trekked to the translucent door parting the room from the balcony and coldness outside. She trailed her hand across the wall, leaving fingerprints along the cold glass.