55 | Dallas and Mathias

Final chapter. It's a bit longer than usual, but here we go.

Thanks for sticking with me up to this point :) I truly appreciate every person who read this book, commented, and or voted.

Question: what is your favourite part of this book?

Mathias | Dallas

Dallas released a heavy breath before sucking in another, clenching her jaw to keep her teeth from beating against each other as she stood from her bed, pacing her room. After a short moment of pacing the room back and forth, her eyes flicked to the clock above her bed. 7:48 pm. Her stomach flipped again, but as she caught a glimpse of her reflection in the mirror, she permitted a small smile to take flight across her lips.

The sequins on her dress shone in the dim lighting, and following the intricate patterns embedded into her dress, her eyes moved from the way the dress snuggly hugged her hips, all the way down to the long slit at the side of her thigh. Her eyes climbed up further to her freshly done white ballerina nails, the bracelets slotted around her wrists to the way her dress peeled off her shoulders, revealing her angular shoulders, protruding collarbones and the punk stud earring slotted through one ear, replacing the big hoop earrings she naturally gravitated towards. That night was all about chance. She finally looked at her face and her hair.

The absence of hair was something that caught her off guard every time she looked in the mirror, and that time was no different. She tilted her head to the sides as she gazed at her hair and the small curls that assembled at the top of her head, to her sharp sideburns and the side of her head, where the hair was cut a bit shorter than the top. Her lips stretched into a smile as she glanced at the rest of her face, her lash extensions, a light dusting of blush across her cheeks, and her plump lips, and for the first time, a sense of peace fell over her, reducing her anxiety to a low hush as she slipped into the moment. She smeared more lip gloss over her lips before smoothing them together, evenly distributing the product.

The rapping of knuckles to her door pulled her from her thoughts.

"Dallas?"

She capped her lipstick and placed it back on her table alongside all her other makeup tools. "Come in, Dad."

The door opened with a click, then a low creak as it swung open wide enough for Albert to enter. The man stepped into the room with his hands behind his back and a coy smile on his lips, his eyes lighting up even more when he laid eyes on her hair for the umpteenth time. Dallas gave him a suspicious glance, curious about what he was hiding.

"What do you think?" she asked, her tone tinged with uncertainty. She passed a gentle hand on top of her curls, slowly but surely getting used to the absence of the long hair she usually rocked before. "I wonder if everyone else will love it?"

"Do you love it?"

"I do."

"Then that's all that matters, bucho."