S1 - Ep 4: The Not-So-Dull Summer Camp - Pt 3 [Revised]

I saw a lot of interesting theories as to how this arc will play out. I won't say anything, but I do find the interaction to be awesome. Seriously, it makes me smile when I see people make theories about how certain things will be going down, gives me more motivation to write this.

Anyway, with that out of the way, let us begin...!

[Opening Song: Kyouran Hey Kids!! – By: The Oral Cigarettes]

[The "Not-So-Dull" Summer Camp – Pt 3]

Silence. No one dared to exhale even the faintest bit louder than a whisper. Whatever conversations were being had before Maxwell answered Julia's question had completely halted, in favour of staring at Maxwell and the militia behind him. It was only now that Luz had gotten the chance to see what they had been carrying, and it wasn't limited to rifles.

They had heavy machine guns, shotguns, and even miniguns. They were prepared should any one of them step out of line. And the worst part? They knew that they had them cornered. Sure, they all had superpowers of some variety. But bullets would still pierce flesh. Still strike arteries. Still do ever-lasting damage.

Those weapons were used to render whatever they fired at into tiny little bloody puddles. They weren't aimed at them just yet. But she felt as if at any moment, should any of them breathe incorrectly, they would be aiming down their sights faster than she could say "Wait". What was worse was the look in their eyes.

They were bloodthirsty. Ready and waiting. Maxwell stood behind them, arms at his sides, expression twisted into one of false glee. The weight of his words hung heavily over them.

There was often a saying used to justify actions like these, the saying going along the lines of "This is a kill or be killed world so it's best to be the one who kills first, otherwise, you might be the one killed." But she didn't think it would apply to this situation. At least, currently. Maybe... maybe there was a way out of this?

"I, uh... what?" A French-accented voice spoke out, as Luz glanced in the voice's direction. A black-haired boy who looked no older than twelve stood more toward the center of the group, skin an ashen pale most likely due to the fear he was feeling. He had a single streak of white going through the right half of his hair, and he had heterochromia, with one of his eyes being blue, and the other silver.

He was dressed in a black shirt with a missing right sleeve, and a pair of dark brown shorts with black socks and shoes. He had a burn scar on his wrist, and she noticed that he had a hole in his wrist—most likely a side-effect of his power, whatever it might have been.

"What's the matter? Can't handle the truth?" Maxwell asked as the boy flinched.

"N-No, it's just... why?"

"Why?" Maxwell replied, tilting his head slightly to the left as if puzzled. He smirked, before tilting his head upward ever-so-slightly, holding his head high as if he were some kind of judge. "Well, I could lie and say that I want you all turned into super soldiers for the benefit of the country. But, considering that's what Texas is doing, quite literally might I add, I wanted to do something else. Except, I didn't know where to begin. Until one person approached me and offered me a deal I just couldn't refuse."

As Maxwell spoke, the tension in the air seemed to spike. Luz was the only one who noticed it, her shoulders raising as she felt herself begin to shake. She couldn't tell if it was out of fear, or anger, or both. But the feeling Maxwell's words gave off was nothing but sinister. That was obvious, especially considering the context behind them, but still!

"This person offered me as much money as I needed to make this project a reality. We only had a week to do it, but it worked out in the end, didn't it? I can't go saying my benefactor's name, but they are a consistent backer of mine. But, instead of making it obvious and boring and painfully clear that all I want is for you kids to die—because, I mean, I'm an open book. There's no reason to lie about it. I decided to make it a game! And, don't worry, I'm a man of my word. If there are any survivors by the end of it, you'll get the money I promised."