S1 - Ep 11: The Hunt Begins - Part 1 [Revised]

[Opening Song: Kyouran Hey Kids!! – By: The Oral Cigarettes]

[The Hunt Begins – Part 1]

There were only a scarce few things that Luz, quite frankly, detested. The first of those things, and the most prominent one applicable to this situation, would be being woken up. It was never for something good, and the few times it was, those were on her birthday. And even then, it was promptly ruined when her Mama would open a wine bottle after they ate dinner.

Regardless of that, someone was shaking her awake, and she could tell there was urgency behind it. How? Well, usually when someone tried to wake her up, it was usually whispering her name or asking her to wake up. Being shaken awake usually meant that it was urgent. Still, that didn't mean she had to like it. Her eyes slowly peeled open, with the first thing she was met with sight-wise was Stanley, who knelt in front of her, hands on her shoulders as he shook her in such a way that wouldn't cause her to hit her head against the tree, but enough to where it would get her to stir awake.

Behind him was the care package. It was closed, and it was a big large black box of sorts with the American flag plastered on the top lid. Two clips kept it shut, and strangely there was no lock on it. Though, she guessed it made sense, considering it was a care package. They had finally come across last night when they stumbled through the woods. She thought about opening it last night, but Stanley advised against it. Saying that they'd open it when they got back to the base.

She wasn't entirely opposed to the idea, but it was a little annoying. Whatever the case was, she didn't complain too much about it. Besides, they had found it first, meaning that it was theirs to claim. Although, a weird thing she noted was that the rest of that day she had not caught even the slightest sight of anyone else on either team.

It was almost as if they had just, vanished. They left the care package completely uncontested, which had set off alarm bells in her head. But, they weren't important enough to pay attention to. All she cared about was cracking the case open, and getting at whatever was there. Preferably a shirt that would actually fit her. And maybe a fresh change of underwear, too. That would be nice. Her current clothes were starting to stink, and it was bugging her.

But, even though that was annoying her, she was going to keep to her word. She wasn't going to touch it until they got back to the base. Besides, it would've been an all-day hike to get back from where they were now, to the base. Unless, of course, she figured out how to fly using Pyrokinesis. Then all bets would be off.

"What is it... What do you want?" Luz grumbled, slowly sitting up as Stanley took a few steps back. He looked... panicked. Why? That caused Luz to stand up, narrowing her eyes all the while. "Stanley, what's with the face, I—"

That's when she smelt it. Her eyes widened, and when she looked over in the distance, she saw a giant bellow of smoke rising from the direction of their base. They were being attacked, and she wasn't there to help drive whoever was attacking them. "We have to go," Luz said curtly, looking back to Stanley, who looked hesitant. "Stanley, we have to—"

"I know, but I don't think you'll make it in time if I come with you," Stanley interrupted as Luz raised an eyebrow. What was he going on about? She frowned, crossing her arms.

"What are you talking about?"

"Luz, you have that fire ability, right? You can get there faster than I can run. Besides, I can stay here with the supplies. Everyone else over there needs you, right? And, if the worst comes to pass..." Stanley said, frowning. Luz immediately knew what he was implying. She understood what he was getting at, but that still didn't make any of this better.