37 || THE LETTER

CARRY ON
VOL 2

"Carry on."

1 day later.

Gathered around in the Wheeler basement, the friends sat in silence. The friends who once had everything to talk about now had nothing.

Maybe it was because they had done what had been needed from them or it was possibly due to the void which filled each of them because they were missing the one person who made the room light up, Riley.

Or, maybe it was Max. The plan had worked, yes, but it didn't work out so well for the redhead. The girl who once made everyone laugh from her sarcasm to threatening anyone who dared hurt her friends was now in hospital, possibly blind and disabled. And sadly for Riley, he didn't know that.

Obviously, everyone found out about Riley, although they never got told. Seeing Dustin's and Eddie's tear-stained faces without Riley definitely led to some suspicion.

Eddie still blamed himself. How couldn't he? He was the one who tried to be the hero but in the end, the one he loved most died because of it.

Quiet sniffles could be heard around the room but no one dared to even say anything about it.

Eddie's hand found his pocket. His fingers now laying on a crumpled paper which had once belonged to Riley.

Deciding to pull it out, he looked down at the front of it once more which led him to be met with a small message from Riley.

'MY LETTER 'CAUSE I'M SHIT AT SAYING HOW I REALLY FEEL.

— RILEY BLOOD.'

A letter. He had written his friends a letter.

Awkwardly clearing his throat, all attention now fell onto the Munson boy who looked out of place as he realised he would no longer have a hand to hold in situations like these.

"Um..." Eddie trailed off, clearing his throat once more as his voice slightly cracked. "He wrote us a letter."

"Who?" Robin asked, her voice hoarse possibly due to all the crying she had done in the short amount of time.

Eddie only looked at her, not even wanting to say his name. He just couldn't. He couldn't come to terms that he was gone. That he would no longer turn up to his games. That he would never be able to hold his hand again. That he wouldn't be able to blast Queen as he used to. That he was dead.

"I haven't read it." Eddie told them as he fumbled around with the paper. "I wanted to wait until we're all...together."

The friends all moved positions so that they were able to now see the paper which Eddie held which made them all feel cramped, slightly.

"Open it." Nancy sniffed, nodding her head towards the letter.

Eddie didn't respond as he opened the letter where they were met with Riley's handwriting.

Hey, it's Riley. Obviously. See, I'm not the best at writing these, like, at all, actually, I've never written a letter before so, yeah.

Thanks, Max for giving me the inspiration.

If you are reading this then I am probably dead. So, RIP me I guess?  I don't really know what to say about that if I'm being honest, which I am.

Anyways, I wrote a paragraph for each of you guys so I hope you appreciate it because I spent a lot of fucking time.

Dustin. You are such a fucking nerd. Like, a major nerd, it's kinda scary. But I really do love you. Even though you always tried to show me up because 'you have a higher intelligence level.' Shut the fuck up. And your attitude, man. Fix it.