Prologue

Clary Fairchild was standing outside the Dublin Institute, caressing her huge belly unknowingly. She didn't want to go in and make her presence known to the occupants of the Institute but she really wanted to get out of the cold too. Clary wonders briefly how she got here and remembers the Portal she opened after the funeral. She feels tears well up in her eyes, and trying unsuccessfully to push them down, lets them fall. He's dead. Luke is dead. Crushed by this and by Jace's betrayal, Clary fled New York to the first place she could think of. Why she chose Ireland, Clary hadn't a clue; she just knew she had to get away. Away from the judging faces of the werewolves at the funeral, away from Jace, away from Jocelyn and all the memories. She needed somewhere to start fresh. Her and her child deserved that much.

What Clary didn't know was that there was a young boy at that very moment running to get his parents, who were not much older than Clary herself. Zachariah and Juliet Penrose had been married since before the last war; at the young age of 18 they had their first child, Henry, who was running to tell them about the redhead girl standing on their stoop. As he is doing this, Henry wakes every Shadowhunter in the building. Alessandra Bearwain shouts for him to keep it down, Eos Goldhawk steps out of her room yawning, Antony Dragonway walking past in his pajamas, and several other people coming out of their rooms due to Henry's loud footsteps. "Mama! There's a girl on our stairs!" he yells carelessly into his parents room. Zachariah groans and puts a pillow over his head while Juliet smiles at her son and says, "Take me to see this mystery girl." Henry helps his pregnant mother out of bed and to the front doors of the Institute.

The door suddenly opens in Clary's face. Surprised, she trips down a few steps, landing hard on her butt. Juliet covers her mouth in surprise. She had thought Henry was kidding but here she was, standing on her stoop. The legendary Clary Fairchild, without the notorious Jace Herondale. Juliet eyes Clary's huge, pregnant belly, wondering what she was doing here so early in the morning when Juliet knew for sure that the other girls' stepfather had just passed. As Clary pulled herself back up, Juliet offered her a hand. Clary accepted the outstretched hand and smiled warily. "Sorry for just standing out here. I was trying to build up my confidence to actually open the door." Juliet smiled warmly at the other girl. "It is no problem, Clary. Do come in. I think you'll like it here."

a/n If you're reading this good for you! you made it past that and now it should be a cinch to read the rest of my boring book. Hope you enjoy it though :)