Chapter Three

Clary couldn't believe her eyes.  It was actually him.  Simon.  When she had left he had still been at the Academy, training to become a Shadowhunter.  From what she could tell, he had Ascended finally.  She could see the fading scars on his uncovered arms and the iratzes on his forearms.  Clary's heart pulled her towards him, and knowing that she didn't want to resist, she let her feet carry her to him. 

"Clary? Is it really you?" he asked.  Nodding her head yes, Simon pulled her into a huge bear hug.  "Where have you been?  We've- well I know I was- been worried sick about you!" As he let her go, his eyes landed on Tessa and Clary could see him put together the pieces.  Simon had always been able to know exactly what was going on with her. It was a blessing and a curse.
"Is that....?" Clary nods slowly, trying to gauge his reaction. His expression went from confused to elated in a matter of seconds. Tessa had come up behind Clary, trying to figure out who Simon was. Clary gently pulled her daughter out from behind her and watched as Simon knelt down to be at eye level with Tessa.
"Hi, I'm Simon. What's your name?" He smiled at her and Tessa immediately warmed up to him, losing all shyness.
"Tessa. How do you know mummy?" Simon looked up at Clary, wanting to know how much to tell her. Clary nods slightly, telling him he can explain.
"I'm your mummy's friend from a long time ago. I remember when you were still her belly!" Simon makes a funny face and gets Tessa to giggle before he stands back up. He motions for Clary to follow him and they walk a few feet away, leaving Tessa to play with James.
"Have you seen anyone else?" His voice was urgent and tinged with sadness. Clary couldn't believe how different he looked. He was still the same in physical appearance, slightly taller and with more muscle. It was the Marks covering his body that truly surprised her. She remembered when she left he was still in the Academy but hadn't relied he had Ascended.
"No I haven't. Are they all here?" Her voice carried a bit of nervous excitement along with worry. She hadn't seen all of them together since Luke's funeral. Jace especially. She wondered briefly what that would be like before shoving the idea out of her mind. She didn't need him anymore.
"Simon? Where'd you disappear to?" A familiar but depressed sounding voice came from a few feet away. Simon gave her an apologetic look before mouthing I'm sorry to her. She peeked over his shoulder and immediately wished she hadn't. Jace?
____________________________________________
I want to thank all of you who commented your ideas and everything else. I love that everyone is enjoying this. You guys are the best
Love, Kali