08 » ❝I Could've Danced All Night❞

"I'll never know what made it so exciting. Why, all at once my heart took flight!"

- I Could've Danced All Night, My Fair Lady

CONFESSION NUMBER EIGHT: Scarlett is fully confident in her acting skills. She is fully confident in her singing skills. Thing she's not so confident in? Dancing.

         It's no coincidence that the roles she's always aspired to play (for roles, read: Elphaba, Eponine, Fanny, Maria, etc) require little to no dancing whatsoever. While the aforementioned roles are undeniably iconic and amazing, and Scarlett's in no position to choose them simply because they rarely 'bust a move', she's going to have to be cast as Willard from Footloose if she's ever going to fare at this dance. 

         And yes, while she's taken a few ballet classes in the past when she was five - and the few musical theatre dance lessons she took in the seventh grade - she's not proud to admit that she caused quite the unusual amount of injuries at her first attempt at a pirouette, for herself and the unfortunate few dance mates who'd been standing too close.

         So when April asks her if she's going to the fall dance, naturally, Scarlett goes into a state of panic. "Have you gotten a dress for the dance yet?" April asks her as they walk, books in hand, to their second period drama class.

         "Dance?" Scarlett whips her head to face April suddenly, eyes wide. "What dance?"

         "Uh, the fall dance? The one we told you about like, two weeks ago?" April fills her in, but Scarlett's still got a blank look on her face, and April sighs. "God, do you even listen to the morning announcements?"

         Audrey jumps in, "Yeah, I figured that of all people, you'd be excited for the dance, Scarlett. It's like, one of the only times a year that it's perfectly normal to burst into a sudden dance number!"

         While Scarlett loves bursting into spontaneous flash-mobs and dance numbers, she's not too confident that she won't fall on her face if she attempts to dance.

         "Uh, yeah, I totally knew about that, I just, uh... forgot, I guess," she stutters, trying to fake a smile in the direction of her friends.

         April laughs. She can always tell when Scarlett's trying to hide something. "So you still don't have a dress, then?" she asks.

         Scarlett shakes her head no. "Nah, I haven't gotten one yet," she says, refraining from adding in, "Because I just found out about it two seconds ago."

         Audrey squeals and claps her hands together excitedly. "Perfect! We can all go dress shopping later today! Meet us at the mall at five?" she asks, Scarlett nods, and they slip into the classroom. Scarlett's in no position to oppose - she actually really enjoyed the last shopping trip that her and her friends went on, minus the whole encounter with Mackenna - but she's not exactly ecstatic to go dancing in public.

         If she's being honest, she's more confident in her math skills than she is in her dance moves - and that's saying something, because Scarlett's terrible at math.

Of course, Chase had to be head of the dance committee, and is manning the ticket booth just as April decides to go over and buy tickets. "There is absolutely nothing wrong with going to the fall dance without a boy. We'll go as a group," she decides, after Audrey's spent a significant amount of time throughout the lunch period telling the rest of the girls that the whole point of going to a dance is to go with a date.