18 » ❝Singing In The Rain❞

"What a glorious feeling, I'm happy again!"
- Singing In The Rain, Singing In The Rain

CONFESSION NUMBER EIGHTEEN: Scarlett's always loved the rain. When she was a kid she would stomp around in the puddles with her big yellow boots and jacket on, a big pink umbrella in hand, singing Singing In The Rain in the rain. And now, even without the oversized rubber boots and umbrella, there's rarely a moment when Scarlett will pass up an opportunity to reprise one of her favourite songs.

        "Here, take this," Parker says as the two exit the school, handing her his jacket as they make their way towards his car. The rain is hitting the pavement hard, and the wind is blowing so fiercely that Scarlett's blue dress is spinning at her knees, her hair blowing wildly behind her head. "I'll bring my car around - you stay here," he says in an overly dramatic and heroic tone that makes Scarlett laugh. 

        She wraps the jacket around her tightly, but follows him anyways. "I'm a girl, not a flower - I think I can handle a bit of rain," she scolds, laughing to herself at the irony of having said that just after being cast as the wicked witch of the west.

        "So... what you're saying is," Parker begins, a sly smile spreading across his face, "that a little fall of rain-" 

        "Oh, shut up," Scarlett shoves his shoulder playfully, and he stumbles over to the side, laughing at his well-timed Les Miserables joke. "But yes. I will channel my inner Eponine, and we will conquer this rain together. Agreed?" 

        "Agreed." Parker gives her a sideways smile over his shoulder and reaches for her hand. "Alright - you ready?" he asks, and Scarlett nods confidently. "Okay - one... two... three... go!" And then they sprint through the puddles of the school parking lot together, laughing like idiots as they get thoroughly soaked in the process (partially result of the rain, and partially result of stopping to splash each other with the puddles).

        "Okay, okay - you win!" Scarlett surrenders when Parker starts using his hat to scoop up water from puddles and throw it in the air, splashing them both. 

         Parker looks smug, extending his arms and shouting out (to no one in particular), "The great Parker Coleman is victorious once aga-" 

        And then Scarlett pours an entire bucket of water over his head. 

        "Hey, no fair - you surrendered!" Parker exclaims, sputtering as he wipes his hair out of his face. "Where'd you even get that, anyways?" 

        Scarlett laughs, still holding the bucket in her hands. "Gym class prop. I feel bad for whoever has to go and hunt down all the tennis balls I just set free through the parking lot." 

        Parker laughs. "I love how you refer to the phys-ed equipment as props," he grins. 

        "Force of habit," Scarlett admits, shrugging her shoulders. The two make the rest of the way to Parker's car - which is one of the only ones left in the lot by now, since even after the dance has passed, they still enjoy random dance lessons after school in the auditorium - and Scarlett dumps her bag in the passenger's seat. 

        "Help me get the top down?" Parker asks.

        "Sure," Scarlett says, tucking her hair behind her ears. The two begin to tug on the top of Parker's car - which is currently all folded up - but it doesn't budge. "I'm sorry, I'm not really that strong-" she confesses.