14 » ❝Getting Ready❞

"Only got one shot, better get it right, I'm getting ready!"
- Getting Ready, 13

CONFESSION NUMBER FIFTEEN: Despite the fact that the dance is a mere three hours away (and Parker and Scarlett really aren't supposed to be in the auditorium after school hours) they've been continuing with the dance lessons anyways, because, and he quotes, "if you're ever going to play Reno, you're going to have to learn how to tap dance".

        Sometimes Scarlett hates it when Parker's right.

        She takes back that thing she said earlier about tap dancing though. It's actually quite fun - once she stops falling on her face - and considering that a few of her dream roles are tap dancers - cough, Millie, cough - she's going to have to suck it up and learn the damn dance already.

        "So, are you going to the dance tonight?"

        Parker arches an eyebrow at her mischievously. "Oh Scarlett, I knew you'd eventually admit your undying love for me-" he begins, holding his hand to his heart dramatically as she scowls down at him from where he's now kneeling at her feet like a goofball.

        Scarlett shoves his shoulder so forcefully that Parker skids on his tap shoes suddenly, and practically crashes into the wings, the red velvet curtains rustling as he collides with them. "You know I didn't mean it like that, dummy," she teases, still looking forward as she goes over the moves again, her focus in front of her on the spot she's pinpointed on the wall to keep her balance.

        "I know," he says, dusting himself off and attempting to fix the curtains, which only proceeds to make them worse. "And yes, I am going to the dance."

        "With Mackenna?"

        "With Mackenna," Parker confirms, though he doesn't sound overly enthused about it.

        Scarlett calls him out on it before she can stop herself. "You sound... excited," she comments, attempting to spin (as Parker had showed her) and slipping slightly, almost crashing into him herself.

        Parker grabs her shoulders gently but firmly, resting her lightly back on her feet. "I guess those acting classes are really paying off then, huh?" he jokes, and Scarlett raises her eyebrows at him, unconvinced.

        "You don't want to go to the dance?" she asks, beginning the routine again, counting the steps in her head.

        Parker runs his hand through his hair, thinking. "It's not that I don't want to go to the dance, it's just..." he trails off, stopping dancing altogether as he stares out absentmindedly into the empty audience.

        Scarlett stops dancing as well to face him."Just..."she prompts.

        He sighs. "It's just... the suit, and the limo, and the stupid corsage," he elaborates, "it's all just not my style, y'know? I had this picture in my head of taking a girl I liked to a dance and having it be simple - give her a flower, tell some stupid theatre jokes, walk her home," he explains, smiling stupidly to himself. "But I know that Mackenna's going to get all mad because I'm not going to show up at the right time and my tie won't match her dress, and-"

        "And you don't want to let her down," Scarlett finishes for him thoughtfully.

        Parker nods slightly, staring at his feet. "I don't want to let anyone down."

        Scarlett thinks about it for a moment, but it doesn't take long to understand where he's coming from. After all, dating Mackenna can't exactly be defined as smooth sailing. Mackenna's practically Maureen - you can't make heads or tails of what it is she's talking about. Not that Scarlett would know - but it's not like she hasn't observed the pair arguing in hushed tones from across the cafeteria. Aside from it all, Scarlett can't seem to come up with anything other than performing that Mackenna and Parker actually have in common.