Phase 7: Judgement

Phase 7: Judgement

Holding Cell 5, Main Building, ZAFT Headquarters, City of Aprilius One, PLANTs, 7 February CE 71, 0930 hrs

Three days later...

As she lies on the bed looking at the ceiling of the holding cell, Flay hoped that her upcoming trial would go well for her. Though Yzak cautioned her before that, Councilman Zala will never allow her to join ZAFT, Flay determines to convince him during the trial to let her join.

However, the door to her holding cell opens and Yzak walks in as he approaches her. "Miss Allster, it's time to leave for your trial." Yzak informs Flay. The red-haired Natural nods and stands up while carrying her personal bag as she is about to leave with Yzak. "Will everything be alright, Ensign Joule?"

"Everything will be fine if you follow what we discussed three days ago," Yzak says as he sighed. "Though it will be unlikely that they will allow you to join ZAFT." .

Flay is sad to hear this, but Yzak has a point. There are no records of Naturals joining ZAFT since the entire armed forces filled it with Coordinators only. If she becomes a mobile suit pilot for ZAFT, no Coordinator wants to fight side by side with her if they know she is a Natural. Also, Flay recalls experiencing Anti-Natural hatred from ZAFT Coordinators like Rusty back then. She even remembers Rusty telling her that Yzak wanted to kill her out of hate. Hence, she understands why ZAFT forces kill Naturals immediately upon capturing them during battles. It was all about hating Naturals for what Blue Cosmos did to them.

Troubled by both Coordinator's hatred against Naturals and her father's association with Blue Cosmos, Flay wants to enlist in ZAFT forces as a volunteer soldier. She hopes that by joining the Coordinators' army, she can convince both Coordinators and Naturals to end their hatred against each other and seek peace. That way, Blue Cosmos's ideology will become irrelevant and the war could end quickly.

"Ensign Joule, I'm aware they will not allow me to join the ZAFT forces just because I'm a Natural. But I will inform the Supreme Council of my decision and convince them to let me join ZAFT," Flay tells Yzak. At first, Yzak thought she was being stubborn and naïve, but hearing that she planned to convince the Supreme Council to let her join, he became worried about her. Knowing that Patrick Zala has a strong hatred against Natural, hearing Flay wanting to join ZAFT would lead him to sentence her to death immediately.

"Miss Allster!" Yzak calls out her middle name. "What you are doing is dangerous. What if they don't let you join but sentence you to death instead?"

"I will take my chance, Ensign. I'm fully prepared to accept the consequences." Flay informs him. "I'm joining ZAFT to put an end to hatred on both sides so that the war can end quickly." .

Yzak was speechless by what he heard. He thought it was all a ruse to fool him and the Supreme Council. He remembers when he first captured her; she was just a mindless Blue Cosmos supporting Natural when she called him a space monster. Now Flay is completely a different person by wanting to join ZAFT. 'What is she thinking?' Yzak thought as he wondered why Flay would want to help Coordinators despite being fearful of them in the past.

In the end, Yzak reluctantly allows Flay to convince the Supreme Council on the condition that she has to fully accept the outcome of the verdict once the trial ends and also, she will not back out during military training if they allow her to join ZAFT. Eventually, Flay accepts the conditions imposed by Yzak.