28

..

I've decided that I officially want to Kill Soma Yukihira. His murder is going to be one of great skill and technique. I'm going to make him suffer.

Not only for waking me up just to not even compliment me on the stupid hair clip I put on, but making me smell fish guts, too. And for him to even have the audacity to lay his head on my shoulder and look into my eyes all sweetly on the way—

I hear a knock at the door, and I stop my internal monologue. Who the hell is knocking at my door? I get up angrily and open. It's him. He grabs my shoulders and widens his eyes. I'm taken aback and confused.

"Come with me now." He said. He let go of me. Before I can even process what just happened, he grabs my hand and drags me to Polar Star's kitchen.

I see Ibusaki, Mito, Megumi, and Ryoko. Oh, I thought it was something important. He had me scared for a second.

"Sorry for asking you all to come here." His eyes look at all of them until they land on me. I give him a look to say "what's up", but he just turns away.

"What's going on, Yukihira-kun?" Ryoko asks.

"Not this again." Mito groans.

"You have no chance of winning unless you can get the best Pacific saury on the day of the match, right?" I look at Ibusaki who's on my left and then back at Soma.

"I'm not going to go to the fish market in the morning." Soma says unexpectedly.

"What do you mean, Soma-kun?" Megumi questions.

"I'll go buy my pacific saury a couple of days before the match. I won't have much time to experiment, but if I succeed, at the match itself, I can have Pacific saury that surpasses what the season has to offer!"

"So you mean..."

"I'm going to age the fish!"

"I see. Ibusaki is a master in smoking." I say, looking over at Ibusaki on my left. He gives me a small smile before I continue, "And Ryoko specializes in rice malt. They're both experts in aging methods."

"Nikumi is an expert, too." He meets my eyes, before looking over at Mito. "You're up to speed on trendy aged meats, aren't you?"

"Yeah. You're talking about aged beef? It involves controlling the temperature and humidity while air-drying and resting meat." Mito explains.

"The flavor of ingredients isn't necessarily dependent on freshness. If I can succeed in aging the fish to bring out its umami, I bet I can compete with their ability to judge fish! So, can you guys please help me?"

Everyone says yes to Soma, including me, but I don't hear anything from Ibusaki. I nudge him on his shoulder and he faces me.

"You'll help too, right, Ibusaki-kun?" I ask, with a smile, hoping he'll say yes.

"Well, sure, I guess." He says quietly. I look at Soma, still with a smile on my face. His eyes are on Ibusaki. He looks at me and gives a short smile.