31

..

14 years old

I look up at the dark sky, feeling the cool breeze brush my hair and my face. Soma lays down beside me in the grass. Because it is summer, we went outside, grilled meat, and had ice cream. The sun has set and I'm feeling sleepy.

I turn my head and lay on my side. Soma looks just as tired as I am. I yawn and close my eyes. I don't drift off because I feel Soma's hand tap my arm softly.

"Y/N, can I ask you a question?" He says it in a tone that is so soft I almost don't hear him. For some reason, my heart jumps in my chest.

"Sure. You can ask me anything." And I mean it when I say it. He sighs as a reply and turns on his side to face me.

"...Have you ever done something selfish?" He starts, he looks away for a moment before steadying his gaze back on me.

"What do you mean? Like taking the last slice of pizza?" I say and he cracks a smile. He shakes his head and laughs.

"No, like seriously selfish. A really bad thing."

"Ummm..." I take a deep breath and nothing comes to mind. I just shake my head, keeping a chill expression.

"Maybe, but I can't think of it right now. Unless you count taking the last slice of pizza..."

"Hmmm.." He hums and turns back to look at the sky. I continue looking at him, riddled with confusion.

"Hey, have you ever done.. something seriously selfish?"

"Not yet." He says and leaves it at that.

Before I can respond, Joichiro comes over to us and pours a little bit of water on each of us. Me and Soma both get up with a groan.

"Don't fall asleep now. Let's go home." He says and I roll my eyes at him.

..

The fourth day of the Moon Festival comes around and I'm still feeling hopeful. We weren't doing the best while Kuga-senpai had people waiting outside in a line just to get inside his restaurant. Last night, Soma made a new recipe guaranteed to help our profit. And we have a friend helping us out. One from way back when our shopping district was under attack.

"Hey, thanks for this, Tomita-san!" Soma says.

"I can't say no to you, Soma-chan. Besides, they were just gathering dust in the shopping district's warehouse." He says about the tables and seats he brought us. "That other place is so out of this world. Are you sure these benches will work?"

"Yeah, I'm super grateful for them. Oh, Tomita-san, please have a bite before you go as a sign of our thanks." I smile at Tomita and go to prepare him a plate.

"Oh, thank you! I haven't had your food in a while. I can enjoy Yukihira Diner's taste again." When I'm preparing the plate, I add noodles and a meatball to the Mapo Tofu. I hear a gnawing voice interrupting Tomita.