twenty two

Olivia looked around the gray room, her knees up to her chest under the blanket the police had given her. Her head whipped up when the door opened.

A woman dressed in slacks and a blue button up entered the room, two mugs in her hand. She gave Liv a thin, straight smile as she put a mug in front of her. Liv peered in it and saw it was hot coffee.

"Hi, Olivia. My names Detective Kennedy. I'm here to ask a few questions about your boyfriend." Kennedy said. Her voice was a little deep and monotoned, which didn't provide Olivia much comfort.

"Im not talking until I get a lawyer." Liv mumbled. She figured it was the right thing to say, having seen several cop and investigation movies.

She never thought anything like this would actually happen in real life.

"Unfortunately, that's not really up for discussion. Fezco O'Neill currently has several charges against him, from drug charges to manslaughter. Many consist of several police homocides in what we believe to be strategically planned arson. I could name every charge if you wish, but we'd be talking back when he was just sixteen." Kennedy informed, her fingertips pressed together on the table.

Olivia hated the way she talked to her. Almost as if she was talking down to her. If only she knew what really happened the day Fez's house burnt down.

"You said you talked to my dad?" Liv asked, diverting the topic of conversation. She remembered an officer at her house telling her they spoke to her father.

"We did." Kennedy confirmed, letting out a sigh.

"That can't be right. I haven't spoken to my parents in months." She shook her head. Kennedy nodded her head.

"Yes, we know. One of our chiefs is a good friend of your fathers. He gave him a call once we were able to track Mr. O'Neill down to you. Mr. Jackson explained how Mr. O'Neill was very manipulative and deceiving throughout the relationship. He was the main reason you and your parents had a falling out."

Olivia took in the words Detective Kennedy was saying. She knew her father knew Fezco wasn't manipulating or deceiving.

Was this his way of trying to protect her from the crime?

"This is how we know O'Neill has been lying to you about his crimes. Which leads me to my first question; were you aware Fezco was selling illicit drugs to minors?" Kennedy questioned.

Olivia's eyebrows furrowed. She didn't like how Kennedy was accusing Fezco of a bunch of bad things, even if it was true.

"What?" Olivia asked, trying to process the question.

"Did you know if he had drug paraphernalia on his person?" Kennedy continued. Olivia sat up slightly.

"How much is his and Ashtray's bail? I can cover it." Liv closed her eyes in frustration. She didn't want to answer any questions. The only thing she wanted to focus on was getting her boyfriend home.

Kennedy sighed.

"Ashtray's bail is currently going for one hundred fifty thousand. You'll need to get it to us by the end of the week, if you can cover it, before he's transported to a juvenile detention center in Atlanta." She explained. Olivia nodded her head, then shrugged.

"Not a problem." She said.

"You're boyfriend, on the other hand, is in a much more severe situation. The court is in the process of deciding whether he can qualify for bail or not." She said. Liv's eyebrows stayed furrowed, and she shook her head.

"But if he doesn't qualify for bail..." She tried to think. Kennedy looked down at the table, then back up at Olivia.

"He murdered sixteen police officers in that fire. We're talking as serious as capital punishment."

"Capital puni-"

"The death penalty." Kennedy informed.

Olivia started to tear up. She wanted to open her mouth and tell Kennedy the truth so Fezco wouldn't have to go through such harsh punishment. She wanted to call her dad and ask him why he looked after her on the phone call.

She wanted to be able to take back killing all of those policemen.

"I know this is hard. I'm so sorry you were put in this position. You didn't do anything wrong. If you can't take the questions, you can always come back another time." Kennedy said flatly, trying to reach her hand out to Olivia over the table.

Olivia stood up abruptly when Kennedy brought up her leaving, Kennedy standing up as well. She didn't feel like she could sit in the room much longer.

"I'll be back tomorrow with the money for Ashtray." Liv said. Kennedy nodded her head.

"Of course. We'll keep you updated with Mr. O'Neill's case, but it doesn't look good at all Ms. Jackson. If you have anyone to stay with for the next few days, you should stay with them until this is all over. And, please, give your father a call. He sounded worried."

Olivia wanted to slap her for talking about her father and how worried he was. If her parents were really worried, they would call them herself.

She watched as Kennedy started to leave the room, one last question wandering through her mind.

"How did you find him?" Liv asked.

Kennedy stopped and turned around. Her expression as she looked in Olivia's eyes was cold and hard.

"We received an anonymous tip."

Olivia's eyes faltered to the floor, Kennedy exiting the room but leaving the door open.

Her mind instantly went to Nate.

The boy didn't like to be threatened, and she wouldn't put it past him to be so pissed off to the point where he outed Fezco to the police. He was angry, and this wouldn't be the first time he through someone in jail.

Olivia pulled herself together and left the room. She saw several cops and detectives running around the station, everyone busy at work.

Then, she pulled out her phone and dialed Jules' number.