thirty one

Olivia sulked in the basement by a workout machine. She took swigs from the liquor bottle in her hand, having a late reaction when Rue walked down the stairs.

Rue looked at Olivia, observing. Her hair messily laid over her shoulders, but somehow still looked good. Her cheeks were stained with mascara-filled tears and one strap fell off of her shoulder. She was clearly disheveled, sad and drunk.

"Hi, Rue-Rue. What are you doing?" Olivia asked, exhausted and tired. Rue shrugged, standing with her hands in her pockets. She knew that if Liv was sober, she wouldn't be calling her the nickname.

"I, uh, saw you come down here by yourself." Rue answered.

Liv looked down at herself. She then looked at Rue, who was much more put together.

"You're judging me." She said, jumping to conclusions. She could imagine how bad she looked right now.

"No I'm not."

Liv thought about the events that went down that night. The way she yelled at Lexi in front of all those people.

"Yes you are. Because I freaked out, when I should've just trusted him." She thought to herself. She brought her hands to her face and wiped it, but the tear stains didn't move.

Rue wanted to comfort her since she had been crying, but didn't think she should.

"I mean, I get it."

Rue thought about the play and the way Lexi told the whole school everything about Liv. She had a right to be upset.

Olivia took another sip from the bottle. Then, she scoffed. It was ironic how she was talking to Rue of all people about her feelings.

"Why did you really come down here, Rue?"

Rue sighed and sat on a nearby workout machine. She thought long and hard about the question before answering carefully.

The way she had been watching Liv like a stalker all night.

"I guess because I wanted to talk to you, and this gave me the opportunity." She said, trying to be honest with herself. Liv raised her eyebrows.

"You wanted to talk?"

Rue shrugged. Liv took another sip. It was quiet.

"So talk."

Rue looked at Olivia and the bottle in her hands. She had a long night, and Rue could tell she was mad, specifically at her.

"I don't think I should dump everything on you right now."

Olivia gave Rue a cold look. She knew they both had been thinking about what the other wanted to say. The anticipation was killing her.

"Rue. Just talk."

Rue nodded her head. She bit on her finger nail, listening to Olivia's mad tone.

"Well, I don't think you should be mad. You can't save people, Olivia. Especially if I don't need saving. Or if I don't want it." Rue stood up, hoping Olivia would understand where she was coming from.

Unfortunately for her, Liv scoffed.

"That's bullshit. Why can't you just accept the fact that there's someone who actually gives a fuck about you? And..and wants to help you?" Olivia raised her voice and pointed the hand with the bottle in it towards Rue. Rue sighed.

"I know you do. And I appreciate that. But you were risking too much. There's nothing you can do for me if I don't want help."

Olivia stared at Rue, nodding. She took another sip from the bottle and sat back down, not removing eye contact.

When she spoke again, her voice was eerily calm.

"So you come down here, act like you care, and then lecturing me for loving you?"

Rue could see the prickles of tears in Olivia's eyes that never fell. She stood up again and shook her head.

"Fuck you, Rue. I fucking hate you, and I wish I never..."

Tears welt up in Rue's own eyes when Liv's voice cracked.

"I wish I never fucking met you. Do you hear me?"

Rue shook her head, her eyes falling to the floor as Liv continued to point her finger.

"You don't mean that." She argued.

Olivia stared at Rue some more, hoping she would look at her. When she didn't, she kept going.

All Olivia could think about was the hurt she felt the night Fez went the Lexi's. How it caused her to get that high.

She blamed it all on Rue.

"You know, I have a lot of regrets in my life, Rue. But meeting you has got to be at the top of my fucking list."

A tear fell down Rue's cheek. She remembered how she had said the same thing to Jules, only Olivia was drunk.

She finally was able to understand how Jules felt. And she felt terrible for making her feel as shitty as Olivia was.

Liv took another sip before grabbing Rue's hand. She shoved the bottle in it, shaking her head, looking Rue up and down and walking back up the stairs.

"Now, if you'll excuse me...I have a boyfriend to argue with." She announced. Rue heard the basement door open and slam shut.

That was the last conversation I had with Olivia Jackson before she moved away.

author's note:
AHHH THERES ONLY LIKE TWO MORE CHAPTERS LEFTTT
What do u guys want before it ends?
Love u all!!
-w.m.