e i g h t

Tasha-

I started at Cherry, not believing what I had just heard.

Daniel?Daniel Evans?

Cherry found him kind and handsome?

Wait.. Did Cherry really like him?
I mean, sure, he looks good, but..

"You're joking, right?" I asked her seriously.

"No, I'm not!" She said.

I could see seriousness in her eyes.

"Daniel Evans? Are you crazy? That's ridiculous!" I said.

Even though I hardly knew Daniel, I sure knew that he and Cherry were different.. Very different.

"What's ridiculous about that? He's really nice. I don't care what you think, I like him!" She said, stubbornly.

I took in a deep breath.

"Okay Cher, you like him, and what exactly are you going to do?" I asked placing my hands on her shoulders.

She looked at me.

"I don't know Tasha! Surely a guy like him must have a special someone.." she said sadly.

I considered the point. Yeah, Daniel was quite charming. Maybe he did have a girlfriend. But surely she can't be better than Cherry. I mean, Cherry was the best! Pretty, sweet, kind, all in one!

"And Tasha, did you notice how blue his eyes are!? I mean, it's like the colour of the evening sky" She said rubbing her hands together and hugging herself.

"Woah, you got it baaad.." I said winking.

She looked away sheepishly.

"Okay, it's time for matchmaker Tasha to come into action!" I said.

-

I looked around myself, shutting my locker door close. It was Friday afternoon and basketball practice for the guys had just got over.

I stared carefully at each face.
There he was!

I took in a deep breath and walked up to Daniel.

I looked at him. He was wet from the practice and his hair stuck to his forehead.

"Hey.." I said.

"Oh, Tasha, Hi!" He said, noticing me.

"Listen, I'm really sorry about the other day. I really didn't mean to be so snappy." I said.

"Nah, that's okay!" He said waving his hand.

"Well then, let's start over." I said, breathing in.

"I'm Tasha Parker. And you are?" I asked putting my hand out.

He smiled, amused. Cherry was right. His eyes are really blue.

"Pleased to meet you, Tasha! I'm Daniel Evans." He replied, shaking my hand.

We stood there shaking hands and smiling like idiots until I heard the bell ring.

"Um.. I guess I'll have to go now.. See you later!" I said waving.

"Bye Tasha."

-

"Did you do it? Apologized to him?" Cherry asked me as I sat besides her in class.

I nodded.

"Great! Now all you have to do is make Danny like me!" She said, happily.

"Danny? Seriously?" I asked, raising my eyebrows.

She smiled back at me shyly and took out her book.

-

Ms. Duston comes in, holding a stack of books and papers.

She laid her books on her desk and clapped her hands.

"Students, the time has come to decide the teams for the mid-term project.

Let me read out the names of the members of each team. The first one, Zachary Denver and Cheryl Roberts.. The second team, Meg Ryan and Joshua Jackson.. the next team will be Tania Johnson and Ricky Rubio.. The fourth team will be, Kim Cabot and Sarah Tomson. The fifth and last team will be.. Tasha Parker and.."

I closed my eyes and crossed my fingers.

..Daniel Evans"

Oh no. Oh no no no.

-

"Hey partner!"

I closed my eyes shut, forced a smile and turned around.

There he was. He smiled at me, running his hands through his hair.

"Hi Daniel.." I said weakly.

"Okay, when do we start with the project then? How about today at 4, My house." He said casually.

"Um.. Okay.. I guess." I said awkwardly.

"Cool. See you!" He said, walking away.

-

I walked towards the cottage at the end of the street.I had no idea he lived so close by! It was just a house away from mine. I glanced down at myself. I was wearing a blue t-shirt and jeans and my hair was left down my back.

Reaching the front door, I knocked it. Within seconds the door opened and there stood Daniel.

I stared at him.
His hair fell over his eyes, he was wearing track pants and a t-shirt with the number '6' on it. He grinned at me.

"Hey Tasha, Come on in." he said, making way for me.

I entered, looking carefully around me.
The room was cozy-looking. The floor was of wood and the walls were a shade of beige. At the corner of the room, stood a blazing fireplace, it's light illuminating the whole room. Beside it, stood a wooden table, on which was a stack of book, a vase with pretty white tulips and a small pretty frame, which held the picture of Daniel, with his arm around a girl, of about my age, probably from prom.

At the centre of the room was a small peach- coloured couch, with a small glass table in front of it. I sat on the couch and looked up at Daniel. "Shall we start?", I asked him.

"Yeah, So..we get to chose from Spain and Italy, right? I was thinking of doing Italy? Aah.. Italy! It has always fascinated me!" I continued, not waiting for his reply

"Well, Italy's better.. But what exactly are we going to do? Portray one of Shakespeare's plays, perhaps? I vote for Merchant Of Venice!" He replied

"What about you? Which is your favourite Shakespeare play?" He asked

I paused and thought for a moment.

"Romeo and Juliet. That's my favourite.. But we surely can't do that..." I said.

"Romeo and Juliet." He interrupted me. "Didn't think of that.."

"We don't have to do that.. I was just saying.." I said frantically.

"Let's do it. Romeo and Juliet, it is." He said.

-