n i n e

"... Eighteen, nineteen... Twenty!" I said, done counting the beads on my bracelets.

I was lying on the huge couch and Daniel was sitting on a chair, laptop on his lap, running his fingers through his hair in frustration.

I glanced at him. The light from the laptop illuminated his face. That's when I realized how handsome Daniel was. His dark blue eyes stared intently at the screen, his hair a mess. I could see why Cherry liked him.. He was gorgeous!

"You done checking me out yet, darlin'?" He said still looking at the screen.

I blushed and looked away.

"I mean, yeah, I know I'm absolutely jaw dropping gorgeous, but it's kinda hard concentrating when you are staring at me!" He said, smirking.

"Oh please, I was just wondering how anyone could look so un-attractive.." I said, rolling my eyes. "And DO NOT call me darling!"

"Hey, that hurt!" He said, pouting.

"Yeah, it was meant to!" I replied, sticking my tongue out.

He grabbed the nearest pillow and threw it at me.

"Aah.. Are you out of your freaking mind?" I asked, getting up from the amazingly comfortable couch.

"Yes, I am! Now shut up, I have to finish writing the script!" He said, looking at the laptop screen again.

"Jerk." I muttered under my breath.

"Did you say something?" He asked looking at me and frowning.

"I'm bored." I mumbled dumbly.

"Yeah? Why don't you help me then? He said, raising an eyebrow.

"Nahh.." I said dreamily.

He closed his laptop, sighing and came and sat beside me.

"Fine, what do you want to do?" He said, looking at me.

"I don't know.." I said.

"Truth and dare?" He suggested, smiling.

"Nope.. I'm too lazy to get up. By the way, this couch of yours is awesome!

Let's play truth and truth!" I said.

He chuckled and rolled his eyes.

"Fine, I'll start.. What is your favourite colour?" He asked.

"Blue." I replied. "My turn.. have you ever been in love?" I continued.

He started at me and then looked away. "I don't know if I can answer that." He said.

"Why not?" I asked curiously.

"There's a story behind it, Tasha.." He said, staring at the floor.

"Well...? Tell me!" I said.

"You don't have to know everything." He said, clenching his jaws.

"Dude! I can help you! You know, I'm known as the love guru by most people." I said proudly.
"So go on, tell me!!" I bugged him.

"You can't help me, Okay? Now would you please just stop! Everyone's life isn't as perfect as yours!" Daniel yelled.

Woah.

I looked at my feet. I took my bag up and began walking towards the door. He wasn't in a good mood and I got the hint that he didn't want me around.

"Tasha!" He caught hold of my wrist.

"Listen, I'm sorry.. it's just that.." He said.

"How could you even think that my life is perfect? You know what, you know nothing about me, so it's better if you keep your opinions to yourself and not judge me." I said, loosening his grip on my wrist.

Daniel's eyes looked shocked, his mouth left open. And I, I walked out of the door and found my way back home.

Perfect? How could he think that my life was perfect? Mom left my world at such a young age, dad's in the army, fighting, his life at stake and Cody spent a major part of the year in Washington. All I had was Grandma.

My family was poor. We didn't have the biggest house. Dad just somehow managed to pay for school. We didn't have an expensive car. I had very few friends. Cherry, Ryan, Zachary, and maybe a few more. I wasn't popular. Then how, just HOW is my life supposed to be perfect?

I could feel the tears brimming my eyes. My vision turned blur, and I felt weak. I sat on the grass below me and cried. I missed Mom, and Dad too. I just wished that we were all together again, like we were back then- a loving, happy family. But that was before Dad lost his job, before Mom passed away.

I took in a deep breath and got up, wiping the tears off my face. I walked back home.

-