Chapter 23 - Dying To Tell You

Lando's POV

"Your table miss," the waiter says gesturing our unexpected guest towards us.

Carlos' eyes light up when he sees her. "Olivia! You made it!" The tan Spaniard stands up to welcome her.

"Carlos why didn't you tell me Livvy was coming?! We could've gotten ready together."

Isa was as ecstatic at the sight of her, in a way that only girls can be when they run into their friends in public. I think she felt a bit overwhelmed by the male energy at the table.

"Yeah Carlos," I add behind gritted teeth as the girls exchange a hug and double kiss. "A heads up would've been nice."

"Heads up muppet," he says with a mischievous grin on his face.

Olivia and I glance at each other before hugging awkwardly.

"Hi..." She says tucking a few strands of wavy hairs behind her ear. "I didn't realise you'd be joining too."

"Tell me about it..." I shrug my shoulders and look over at Carlos who's now whispering something in his partner's ear.

Our table is situated in the back of the Asian restaurant, closed off by glass doors and a second entrance. Golden lanterns hang from the ceiling as low red lighting sets the scene all around us.

The evening is lovely, Liv is warm and charming. She knows how to engage with people in a way that isn't pretentious. She seems more comfortable in her skin now than before. The fact that Isa and Carlos aren't typically affectionate in public makes them easy to be around too.

In my head, I imagine this is what it feels like to have normal friends and do normal people things. No one brings up f1, the fia or anything related. We talk about life and music, hobbies and philosophy. At one point I begin to imagine we're on a double date but I stop that thought right away.

The blonde at the table raises her glass and looks over to all of us and says, "To new friendships."

"To new friendships," we all say raising our glasses too.

"Okay Liv, how are you liking being back home in The US?" The 55 driver asks.

"I didn't know you used to live in America."

Up until this point, my interaction with her had been through the group, never directly. It seemed like the safest bet because even though she came to my driver room to check on me after my crash yesterday, we still hadn't really talked."

Without looking at me she says, "I'm pretty sure there's two things you know about me Lando, my name and who my father is."

"Come on?!" I protest.

"You disagree?" The corners of her soft lips curve slightly in a smile and I know she's baiting me. A loose strand of hair falls down her neck like a waterfall, tracing the edge of her collarbone as she turns in her chair to challenge me.

It doesn't matter how hard I try to stay away from her or how long it's been, with her it always feels like days passed don't exist. Until we're reminded of who we are and why things remain the same.

The silent chemistry between us is broken by Carlos saying, "No. I bet he knows at least five things about you. Right?"

"Right," I say.

"There's only one way to settle this Lan, you're going to have to name five things you know about Livvy."

"Go on then," she says taking a sip of her wine.

"Shucks okay.. 1. Your name is Olivia Brown," I say matter of factly and the table laughs. Carlos holds up his index finger indicting that he's keeping score.