Prologue | Silver Moon

The silver moon hung hauntingly in the dark sky, devouring the faint glow of the stars around it. Taeyong stepped out of a back door into a low balcony facing the alleyway.

'My Lord?' someone called out from behind him, but he raised a gloved hand silencing the other.

As the door behind him closed, he took out a sleek black cigarette case from inside the pocket of his suit, with a silver lighter in his other hand. He had only just blown the smoke of his first drag out of his mouth, when the deafening screams of a girl came from the other side of the alley.

'Irritating,' he muttered, his brows furrowed. Having just escaped the dull chatter of the banquet inside, he was absolutely irritated that he could not find peace even outside.

Hoping that whoever was the chaser would quickly kill the human and get it over with, he leaned on the ledge of the small balcony, taking another drag of his cigarette. But not only did the screams got louder, he also heard footsteps and soon, out of the shadows, like a moon emerging from the dark clouds in the sky, appeared the slender figure of a girl dressed in white stained with red.

She was frantically running to stay out of the grip of the vampires chasing her, barefoot on the wet gravel. Behind her, one of them shouted and another followed pursuit. There were two burly men hunting one tiny girl.

'Cowards,' Taeyong scoffed.

She was caught by the vampires right beneath the balcony Taeyong was standing in and when the moonlight finally fell on her, he saw her covered in cuts and bruises with a long bloody gash running down the side of her ribs. It was a miracle she was still standing.

One of the men caught hold of her wrist which was pulling on the hair of the other and with no difficulty he twisted her arm behind her back till the they heard a crack. The other, who had just freed himself out of her clutch, banged her head against the wall. She screamed in pain and kicked the first but fell to the ground when a jaw breaking slap landed on her face. Picking her up by her hair, one of the two vampires growled, 'I'll drain you completely, you bitch.'

It was really such a pitiful scene. There was no use in fighting back. Even one fully grown vampire is difficult to take let alone two. The taller of the two inclined her head backwards giving the other access of her neck but just as he was about to sink his fangs into her, the girl cried hoarsely to the one standing atop the balcony, 'Help! HELP ME! Please. I ASK FOR HELP!'

The two vampires looked up and the moment they recognized the man in the black suit, they froze immediately, leaving the girl to thump down on the cold concrete beside them.

'My Lord,' they said in unison and bowed deeply, trembling in fear.

'Did we disturb your peace, my Lord?' the taller one asked, in trembling voice.

Taeyong didn't reply. His lips pursed and tilting his head to the side, he hissed, 'Is it not shameful enough that a human escaped from your grip the first time that you have to chase after her like a bunch of barbarians.'

'We are sorry. We are sorry, my Lord.' The two men joined the girl on the ground but unlike her, they were on their knees with their foreheads touching the concrete. 'Please forgive us. We were starving and couldn't control ourselves. Please forgive us.'

'Scram away! I don't want to hear your pathetic cries.'

This was enough for the two to bolt out of the alley immediately. Stubbing his cigarette on the iron ledge of the balcony, Taeyong descended from it in a swoop, landing soundlessly next to the girl. He inhaled the sweet scent of her blood and heard the faint beat of her heart.

'Still breathing?' He crouched down next to her, amused.

It was true that she was still breathing but only barely. The cold had numbed her body to the pain but with so many broken limbs, even the slightest movement made her wince.

When Taeyong heard no reply, he lost interest. But just as he was about to walk away, the girl reached out and grabbed the hem of his pants between her fingers, whimpering as she did.

'Please don't leave me here,' was the last thing she managed to say before losing consciousness completely.