16 | Fire and Foe

Taeyong was worried. Dal-ae could see it in his eyes but kept quiet; she had no idea what was troubling him and did not wish to ask unnecessary questions at the moment. But when he helped her all the way to her room, tucked her in bed, and got supplements and water delivered to her chamber, it was clear what worried him.

'I'm fine,' she said, pushing Taeyong's shoulder gently and turning to the side. 'You should go attend to your guest.'

'He can wait. Are you still feeling weak?' Taeyong asked despite hearing her now steady heartbeat.

'Not at all. It might just be the cold.'

'Can you not handle the cold well?' He passed her a tablet from the box labelled, 'Vitamins – for human use only.'

Dal-ae took a drink of water from the glass and gulped down the bitter tablet with it. 'Seems like it,' she answered.

Taeyong tucked the blanket beneath her. 'That and the fact that you didn't eat anything in the morning. No, I don't care if it's too early,' he added seeing her about to argue. 'When you know you are going to be standing for a long time, you should have had breakfast.'

'Really, I am fine,' Dal-ae said, shifting away from the edge and sliding further into the warm and cosy blanket.

Taeyong nodded and with a sigh he said, 'I'll be working in the Mansion Library the whole day today till tomorrow morning after which I won't have the energy to stay awake, which means you need not report to my chamber tomorrow morning, so please rest during this time, okay?'

'You will be working with Yuta?'

'Hm.'

'Why have you brought him here, Master?'

'To translate some texts for me.'

'That is not the real reason.'

'It is not,' Taeyong admitted. 'But this is not the time to get into details. You need to rest. I will have to take your leave now. Your meals will be brought to your room, so you don't have to go anywhere, hm?'

'Thank you, Master.'

Taeyong walked to the door then stopped to say, 'I know I will be away, but if you need anything, you know how to find me, right?'

'I will whisper into the T,' she said, making him smile.

'Good, rest now,' he said and exited her chamber.

𓆩 𓆪

The Mansion Library was located in a separate tower to accommodate its enormous size. This was much larger than the private study in Taeyong's chamber, with lighter marble flooring, and grey walls matching the interiors of the Mansion. An opulent chandelier hung from the muraled ceiling, glittering in the light of the dome shaped windows at the top of the fourth storey. In the centre, stood a table painted ivory, upon which texts of varying thickness were set reaching a height taller than 5 feet.

But despite the palatial interiors, when Taeyong entered, he found the air heavy, almost choking. Doyoung was sitting by the window, staring at nothing and Yuta, who now seemed much calmer and more collected than before, was examining the pile of texts on the table.

'My Lord,' Yuta greeted, irritation still visible on his face but his eyes were now steady.

'I see you have already begun,' Taeyong said and Yuta's eyes widened in shock when realization dawned on him. The stack of bound notebooks that he was examining was just one of ten.

For a brief moment, Yuta really thought that Taeyong was joking but when Taeyong's expression did not falter, he choked on air despite being a vampire. 'Surely, you don't mean to say that these entire texts need to be translated, my Lord.'