6 | Special Unit - II

If in the world existed the best, there would always be a second to best as well. In the world of vampires, the best was the Vampire Lord. But the best is never born, they are made, and in a world such as this, it should never be forgotten that the Vampire Lord was second to best once too before rising to power.

The doors to the Court Palace parted but this time they needed a push to open fully, revealing in their light a figure with the purple cloak casually draped around his shoulders. He was dressed in a fitted black suit with his black shirt undone till his chest and his hair falling over his eyes. There was an ease with which he walked, a hand in his pocket and arrogance in his gleaming eyes but it wasn't unfounded, for the person who had just walked in was the vampire who was the second to best in this world.

The Court was silent again, so much that even the sound of his leather boots over the soft velvet carpet could be heard.

'Lord Taeyong, my greetings to you.' The vampire bowed to the Lord deeply but his lips were curved in an artful smile.

Before the vampire could even straighten his back completely, Taeil spat at him, 'What is the meaning of this insolence! To enter the Court Hall after the Lord has arrived. Shameful!'

However, only a single look from Taeyong was enough to pacify Taeil back into his place.

The vampire was quite pleased with this as he bowed to the Lord once again as a thank you before saying, 'My Lord, I hope you will forgive me for being late but this could not be avoided. As you know Nakori Village, where the territorial boundary was crossed, falls under the domain you assigned to me. I had to go investigate but as soon as I returned from the district, I came straight here. I know I was wrong to enter and could have waited to see you afterwards but I heard of the Special Unit and while I feel ashamed that my Lord didn't entrust the sole responsibility of the investigation to me, I would very much like to be a part of the unit before the Court seals the parchment.'

'You went to the district to 'investigate'?' Jaehyun scoffed. 'Then why don't you share what you found with all of us?'

'Please don't be offended but I wish to share the information with nobody except the Lord,' the vampire replied, crossing his hands behind his back.

'Jaehyun, leave it be,' said Taeyong. He had listened patiently, without the slightest movement or an emotion pass over his face except for his elusive smile. After a breaths time, he spoke to the vampire standing at the foot of the steps, 'If you wish to be a part of the Special Unit then all you need to do is sign your name. But let me be clear on this, that the unit works as a team under Jaehyun and every information is to be shared among all in the team specially with its leader.'

The skin of the vampire paled but his eyes remained focused on Taeyong.

'Sign your name on the parchment only if you believe that you can work under these conditions,' Taeyong said.

The sharp eyes softened, and the artful smile returned as the vampire said, 'I, Yuta, volunteer for the Special Unit,' and he stepped forward to sign his name.

'Very well, Jaehyun, please seal the parchment,' Taeyong said the moment Yuta was done.

Promptly placing his hand above the parchment, Jaehyun started murmuring an enchantment to seal the sheet, binding all those who signed. As the Court watched the shimmering yellow light dance above the table top, Yuta's attention however was on the girl standing beside Taeyong.

'My Lord,' Yuta began, seeking permission.

'Yes, Yuta?' Taeyong inclined his head.

'The girl standing next to you.' Yuta was now eyeing her unabashedly.

'What about her?'

'Won't you introduce the stranger to the Court?'

If Yuta's gaze was sharp, Dal-ae's could pierce a stone wall but this was not her place to speak so she turned her head to look at Taeyong and noticed the rising red in his eyes.

Taeyong remained silent for a few seconds before replying calmly, 'Perhaps Yuta has forgotten what a collar of ownership looks like that he cannot recognize a Familiar when he sees one wearing it.'

'I apologize, Lord Taeyong,' said Yuta, almost too immediately. 'I was mistaken but since we have never seen you with one before, you can say I was surprised seeing the maid.'

'She is not a maid.' Taeyong hissed, and Yuta seemed happy seeing the Lord's usual calm smile falter for a second.

'My apologies. A Familiar, yes. I was surprised to see one standing next to you since the familiars stand on the sides.'

'Have you lost your mind, you rude brat!' It was Senior Taeil who yelled. 'Where else will the Lord's Familiar's place be if not by his side. To compare the Familiar of the Lord with the others is beyond disrespectful.'

Knowing that it was of no use to argue any further, Yuta bowed respectfully to Taeil then walked towards the others of the Special Unit, all while eyeing Dal-ae.

With the dying of the last yellow flame over the parchment, the seal was completed and the Court was dismissed following the order by Taeyong. Row after row of officials filed neatly out of the Hall while Taeyong remained seated with Dal-ae beside him. In the end, after every member of the Special Unit was also gone, what had been bubbling inside Jaehyun burst out at once, 'How could you let him join the unit?'

But Taeyong did not reply instead he got up from the throne and descended the steps, prompting Dal-ae to follow.

'It's so obvious he is the one who sent the blood of the ten thousand rats to you and I can bet he is behind this breach of boundary as well.' Jaehyun said. 'Yes, it makes sense. Nakori Village falls under his domain. He could have easily arranged for the breach.'

'Jaehyun, you should go home and rest,' Taeyong said, when he reached the foot of the steps. 'Heading this unit is not going to be easy and I want you to be level headed.'

Jaehyun sighed, 'Yes, my Lord.'

'And as for Yuta joining the Special Unit, I have no problem communicating the progress of the investigation to him. Yes, even if you think he is the one behind it, there is nothing I fear from his contribution to the unit because I know it is not something that you cannot handle, am I right?'

'Yes, my Lord,' Jaehyun said, with yet another sigh.

'Go home,' Taeyong patted his shoulder, then walked out of the Hall himself with Dal-ae close. Exiting through the double doors, Taeyong and Dal-ae found themselves among the walls of the Night Mansion once more.

'Dal-ae?' Taeyong said, removing his suit jacket, and loosening his tie.

'Yes, Master, do you need something?'

'No. You should go eat. You must feel hungry.'

'Oh, ye-yes, Master.'

Taeyong had only just taken a step to walk away when Dal-ae called out, 'Master, aren't you hungry too?'

Taeyong stopped only momentarily and said hoarsely, 'I am and that is why it's best we part ways here,' before walking away.

Author's Notes:

Hi my people. How are you all? :D How is your precious weekend going?

This week was major plot set-up week and I hope you all had fun reading.

I will be doing more triple updates from time to time in the coming weeks and who knows maybe even four (I'm kidding) :p

Anyway, take all the love <3 See you next week :D