28 | A Tale of Talk

When Dal-ae woke up in Taeyong's bed next morning, she found her throat parched and muscles sore. The two had spent last night entangled in their fervent desires, caring no longer who heard them, and losing count of the orgasms they had given each other. Taeyong had a meeting with the Special Unit that morning which he had called at the Mansion.

'Even after confirming that there is a traitor in the Special Unit besides Yuta,' began Dal-ae, 'why haven't you dissolved the unit yet?'

Taeyong was fastening his cufflinks when he heard this and smile thoughtfully before speaking, 'It is precisely because of this reason that the Special Unit must not be dissolved.'

'I don't understand...'

He moved onto setting the collar of his shirt. 'Though I am the Vampire Lord, things are not quite so simple in our realm. Not everything I say, goes. Without conclusive evidence, not even the Lord can order an arrest. There is a force which keeps the law in check.'

'The Neutral Force,' Dal-ae said and Taeyong nodded. 'But does the Neutral Force really have that much power?'

'They do,' Taeyong replied. 'It was formed solely for the reason to hold the Vampire Lord accountable. The strongest vampire in the realm does not guarantee a fair leader and that is where the Neutral Force steps in. If it is felt that the Lord is abusing the power, the Neutral Force has more than enough means to dethrone him.

'And, this is why I do not wish to dissolve the Special Unit just yet. I can monitor their activities quite easily and take reports and though I am not banking on it, the traitor, one of these days, is bound to slip and hand in the evidence that can be used against him.'

𓆩 𓆪

The Meeting Hall in the East Wing was brightly lit with the light of the platinum chandelier in the centre. The seats around the ebony table were already taken by the members of the Special Unit, all but one – Yuta had not arrived yet nor had he sent any raven to explain his delay. Taeyong, not wanting to waste his time on the matter, asked the officials to present their report. But even after the last one had finished speaking, there was no information on Yuta. Taeyong turned to Jaehyun with a look but Jaehyun returned a silent shrug, informing Taeyong that he did not know either.

Taeyong was just about to wrap up the meeting when a knock sounded on the doors of the Meeting Hall.

'My Lord,' said Taeil quietly, 'it is better to not let him in and expel him from the Special Unit right this moment.'

But Taeyong leaned back in his chair, resting his arms on either side. He looked straight ahead and said, 'Come in.'

'My Lord, apologies,' was the first thing Yuta said after entering through the doors bringing with him a light breeze.

'Go on, let's hear it. I am sure you have a reason for your tardiness,' Taeyong said indifferently.

Yuta's arrogant smile did not falter one bit at this. He unbuttoned his black suit and bowed to Taeyong deeply but when he came up, the smile had reached his eyes. 'I do, my Lord and it's a good one,' he said and stepped into the light of the chandelier.

'I apologise to be the bearer of bad news but the boundary in Nakori Village was breached again early this morning and this time, eight children were killed and six families were drained,' Yuta said and paused for the audible gasps of the officials, looking very satisfied when he heard them.

While the news horrified Taeyong as well, he maintained his outer calm. Fixing Yuta with an intense gaze, he spoke, after a long pause, 'Are you here to tell me of your incompetency, then?'