6 | Special Unit - I

The next morning, Dal-ae was awoken at dawn by Doyoung. As usual, he was dressed too perfectly, even at that hour. 

'These are your clothes for today,' he said, handing her a neatly folded bundle. 'You should start getting ready.'

'Am I going somewhere?' she asked.

'Hm, you will accompany the Lord to Court today, he replied. 'You have two hours to get ready and make sure to look your absolute best.'

Dal-ae took the clothes from him.

'When you are done, report outside the Lord's chamber and wait for him to come out.'

'Outside his chamber?' Dal-ae asked. 'Who will help him get dressed this morning, then?'

'That is none of your concern.'

'That is exactly my concern. I am his Familiar.'

Doyoung sighed, 'Do as instructed and wait for him outside his chamber after you are dressed. Understood?'

About an hour later, Dal-ae dressed herself in the clothes Doyoung had left. They were not too different from her usual uniform, only the fabric was softer and more elegant, the sleeves of her shirt were longer and the corseted skirt stretched all the way to the floor. She was also given a pair of fitted leather gloves and a black silk cloak, which pretty much covered every part of her body except her neck on which her silver collar shined brightly.

In the gentle morning light, the mansion was glowing as though a thousand stars had been studded inside its walls, shimmering like a cascading waterfall. But when Dal-ae reached the corridor outside Taeyong's room, it lay dark and untouched by light. Never intending to wait outside her Master's chamber, after only a single knock Dal-ae entered to find the partition between the sitting area and the bedroom ajar. Unlike the dark corridor outside, the bedroom lay in a quiet dazed mist. Taeyong was stood silhouetted against the blue morning light from the window with his hands in his pockets and his broad shoulders relaxed. In that moment, he didn't look so much like an imposing Vampire Lord, but a humble boy standing in his room, allowing himself this little pleasure to gaze upon the green outside.

Dal-ae did not move nor did she speak. She stood there with her eyes unblinking. It was Taeyong who broke the silence. 'Good morning, Dal-ae,' he said, turning around.

'Oh. Good morning, Master. I... do you need anything?'

'Nothing at all. As you can see, I am ready.' He was dressed in his usual colours – a sleek black suit with a pleasing design. His hair was done away from his forehead, falling over his ears.

'Come here, let me see you,' Taeyong said, lowering his eyes to meet hers. And Dal-ae walked over to him, stopping at a distance which she considered appropriate. But he stepped forward and held her by her shoulders. Under his gaze, she stood still, frozen. And after some time, he said, 'Do you not know how to do your hair?' There was no condescension in his tone; he was genuinely curious.

She looked up at him harshly. 'What is wrong this time?'

'There is no need to feel offended, Dal-ae.'

'I am not offended,' said Dal-ae, looking quite offended.

Despite the childish denial, Taeyong remained patient with his Familiar. 'I am your Master, Dal-ae. Don't hide yourself from me. Here, let me show you how to tie them.'

He raised his hand but Dal-ae took a step back. 'It's fine,' she said, defensively.

'Trust me. I won't ruin them, I promise,' he said quietly and waited.