13 | Confide in the Moon

Taeyong knocked on the wooden door to Dal-ae's chamber, once gently then a little firmer when he heard no reply from inside.

'Dal-ae?' he called out opening the door slowly but he found the room empty.

'Dal-ae?' he said again but this time no sound came out of his mouth.

In his ears, he heard a clear reply, 'Yes, Master?' On the other end in the Silver Medium, Dal-ae was speaking into the T on her collar.

'Where are you?'

'In front of your chamber, Master.'

'Wait there for me, I'm coming.'

Despite the morning light outside, the corridor in front of Taeyong's chamber was dark. But at the end of it, he recognized the glittering silver of Dal-ae's collar and the glint of her grey skirt.

'Why are you here?' he asked.

Dal-ae stepped forward and bowed, 'I was waiting for you, Master.'

'I see.'

'Why don't you let me help you change into a more fitting suit,' Dal-ae said, and opened the door to his chamber, casting a warm glow of light on herself. Taeyong noticed that colour had returned to her face and when he passed by her to step inside, he heard her now stable heartbeat.

'Do you wish to stay in or go out today?' Dal-ae asked, closing the door behind her.

'Hm?'

Dal-ae stopped at the door of the closet. 'You are distracted.'

'No, not anymore,' he sighed. 'I will be staying in today, Dal-ae. A casual suit will do.'

She nodded and after some time brought in a grey suit with a white shirt and matching tie. Taeyong had already stripped his night gown off with his shirt lying on the floor near him. He was standing by the window, silhouetted against the faint light, in his low waisted pants he wore to bed last night.

'Master,' Dal-ae softly called out and placed the bundle of clothes in her hand on the table next to them, everything except the white silk shirt.

'I can wear it myself,' Taeyong said but Dal-ae had already draped the shirt over his shoulders. Pulling it by the edges, she straightened the creases over Taeyong's pale body but her eyes lingered over the scar on the left side of his chest. Dal-ae had seen the scar countless times on his body now but today her eyes held questions.

'Curious?' he asked.

She was caught. 'It does not heal. The injuries on your body do not leave any scars but this...'

'Haven't you heard the rumours about me?' Taeyong asked, coldly.

'Are they true, then?'

Taeyong looked directly into her eyes as he spoke the words, 'They are true. I am heartless, Dal-ae.'

'Did it hurt?'

Taeyong chuckled at this and Dal-ae got her answer.

'Why did you do it if it hurt?'

'I believe the rumours must carry an answer to that question too,' he said.

'You carved it out of your chest because you wanted your only weakness gone.'

Taeyong smiled but his eyes seemed sad.

'Does it still hurt?' she asked, sliding her fingers across the scar. She felt him shudder under her touch but she had no intention of withdrawing her hand. Suddenly, he caught hold of her wrist, stopping her.