Twenty One [His absence]

ELLA

Dear Shadow Self,

It’s been forty eight days since Vincenzo said goodbye to me and it’s been fifty one days since we first met. There is no glimpse of him in the social media either in the city. We are both in New York, yet I never saw him since we talked last time.

I close my diary and stuff it inside my handbag. Opening the door I exit from the blue Evo which Vincenzo gave me forty eight days ago. I parked in my reserved parking in the yard of Tremor Night. It’s eleven in the night fall and nothing feels good than being at my club to spend the rest of the night.

Well, I am doing well as the boss, I’ve got people working for me and I barely have to do something. Vincenzo was right, once you start earning-life seems good. Whenever I see my bank balance my heart pounds hard, the amount of money is way too much. I’m rich-finally. But the person who pushed me into this life has disappeared from my map, so what’s the use of being happy?

Roger and Mike greet me as I add my fingerprint on the scanner of my office door. Roger and Mike has been loyal to me, they are my bodyguards. Once I enter inside my office then everything goes blank. This is my life, without friends, family and Vincenzo.

His absence loathes me and I can’t tell how badly I want to see him in front of my eyes. I skip the fact that tears are leaking from my eyes instead I get to work. I have a bundle of files and emails to check and my mind is not cooperating with me. There hasn’t been a day where I didn’t go through Vincenzo’s Instagram page. Well, I don’t have his phone number otherwise I would have roasted him. A week prior I went to his penthouse and I found out that he is not staying there anymore. Where do I find him?

VINCENZO

I jerk off the dead body from me then I stand up and start firing at the other army on my left. Kairros and Kenzo are attacking from my right side. We didn’t expect a war from the Bratva under these circumstances. My mother is in the hospital and we are all half dead since she has been admitted in the hospital.

After an hour of bustling bullets, the entire territory goes silent. The Russian men are dead. I throw away the rifle which I’ve been holding for a long time and kneel on the ground. It’s currently eleven o’clock in the late night fall.

“Now what?” Kairros asks as he discards his bloodied knife.

“We should probably clear this mess.” I spit a mouthful amount of blood, I’ve been bruised and I smell rust.

“I’ve called the Made Men, they should be here in any second.” Kenzo says and I nod.

“You need a doctor, you are arduously injured. You would’ve been dead if you didn’t call us at the right time.” Kairros utters.

“I don’t need a doctor.” I try to stand up but fail. “I think I’ve broke my ankle.” I grunt. Kairros gives me support and makes me stand.

“Here you go all broken again and you say you don’t need a doctor!” my brother mumbles, “Kenzo get the car. We are driving him to the hospital.”

We are the Romano brothers. We may hate each other but at the end we always end up together, no matter what the situation is. I smirk as Kairros gives me his pissed look. “You suck.” He snaps with gritted teeth.

“You could’ve let me die-who cares?” I groan with pain.

“You are my brother. I can’t let strangers kill you! You’re the first name on my murder list.” His sarcastic voices make me laugh.

Kenzo comes in with the car and Kairros stuffs me in the backseat, my ribs are hurting and the pain in my ankle is unbearable. Every inch of my body is pounding. I feel dead. I have been shot on my shoulder and my brothers aren’t aware of it. I don’t want to tell them because I know I’m not surviving.

“Kenzo!” I yell and he shots me a glare while driving.

“What?”

“Have you heard from Ella?” I moan in pain.

“She is fine. You’ve been hurt and all you care about is Ella?” He sounds annoyed.

I chuckle. Then the entire image displayed in front of my eyes changes into starry night- i wonder if I’m still alive.

ELLA

Liza walks in my office. She is my assistant and she is a nice girl, she is like a friend to me and I really appreciate her presence in this club. “There is a problem in the storeroom. We need your help.” She says and I look at her with wide eyes.

“What problem? Tell me there is nothing serious!” I say as I rush outside my office then make my way to the store room. “It’s Roger, he was trying to help us removing the new flashlights we purchased and he injured himself in the process.”

“Didn’t I say that we’ll need more people to take out these new items?” I utter.

Entering the storeroom I spot Roger and his wrist has been covered with blood. “oh my god! ROGER!” my heart is pounding, I can’t see blood.

“Tell Mike to take out my car, we are taking him to the hospital.” I order and Liza rushes to the foyer.

“Come on.” I tell Roger and he nods.

I grab my phone and handbag from my office then head downstairs. Mike is already waiting at the entrance. Roger is moaning in pain and I can’t see his blood, but he is my bodyguard and I can’t be selfish.
--
As soon as we arrive at the hospital, we take him to the emergency department. Liza does all the paper works while I wait in the waiting room. I fidget my fingers with my phone and stare around the hall. My heart stops for a second when my eyes land on a familiar face.