23

"You're a bad man Tobias Hawthorne." I muttered, as I stared at his portrait. The same piercing grey eyes as Grayson, slicked back hair, everything about this man somehow reminded me of him, but also annoyed me.

"What was wrong with you?" I questioned quietly, as I looked down I looked at his name again.

-Tobias Hawthorne X.XVIII-

That name annoyed me, yet made me think. Why were there numbers?

"What you thinkin' about, sweetheart?" I turned to see Nash leaning against the wall.

"Being annoyed with your grandfather is all." I spoke, as he walked over.

"Natural reaction." he nodded, as he stopped next to me to stare at the painting.

X.XVIII is...1018. Avery's code.

"Nash, your grandfather was a menace. How much do you want to bet, that there's a code lock behind this painting?" I asked, as Nash raised an eyebrow.

"I don't think we need to be betting anymore, darlin'." Nash laughed and watched, as I let my hand slide along the frame.

"A button." I spoke and pressed it, as the painting swung open, making me jump backwards, whilst almost being hit.

"Seems like you're not much of an idiot." Nash nodded, as the key pad shined from behind.

"I'm going to have a word with him, when I die." I looked over to Nash, who nodded: "Fair enough."

I walked towards the key pad, entering the numbers. 1018. A small compartment opened up. I sighed, as I stepped forward and stared into the compartment. I stuck my hand inside and pulled out a piece of stained glass, it was purple and octagonal and attached to it was a small piece of silver ribbon. Almost imitating a Christmas bauble. Though it was pretty useless. Nothing on it. I checked the compartment again finding a small inscription and read the text.

Tip of the clock
Meet me at high
Tell the late day hello
Wish the morning good-bye
A twist and a flip
What do you see?
Take them two at a time
And come find me

Another damn riddle.
"Got a clue?" I asked Nash, who shook his head.

"I always let Jamie and Gray figure those out. They were the best." he informed and turned away towards the door.

"I suggest you find the blond one. Brunett doesn't seem to be a big fan of you." With that he stalked off and out of the room. I looked over to John who shrugged.

"Don't ask me." he spoke, as I groaned in annoyance.

"You're useful." I muttered, walking past him, as he let out a laugh. We walked through the halls, as I tried to find Grayson.

"Any clue where he could be?" I asked John, who thought for a moment.

"Office?" He questioned, as I laughed.

"I really forgot about that one." And so we made our way to Grayson's office. I stood in front of it and knocked on the door.

"I'll stay outside." John nodded, as I raised an eyebrow.

"You never do." I said confused, he generally stayed, when nothing personal was going on.

"Why do you think? I may know things, you haven't told others yet." he stated and turned to stand guard of the door instead. I blushed in embarrassment, as I heard a voice.