Chapter 5 - Face-To-Face With Jesse Rabbit

The crowd went wild, cheering loudly and practically screaming out 'I love you, Jesse'. But it all faded into the background for (Y/N). She had successfully gained Jesse's attention, yet it felt like he had all of hers.

He was so alluring; she could practically still feel his hands that had held her so close. And her heart was still trying to escape the confines of her chest from how he had made it flutter.

But her sweet moment ended as Eddie's voice cut through her wistful thoughts. "May I now remind you that we're on a job?"

She straightened her glasses before staring up at him, her face turning red from both anger and embarrassment. "Shut it, Eddie. I didn't know he was Jesse Rabbit!"

"Don't start feeling anything for that guy. He's poison and no good, remember? All we're here to do is dig up some dirt on him."

(Y/N) wanted to fight back but she had nothing to say. Eddie was right in this instance. And even when Jesse had been handsome and charming and simply so unabashedly suave...he was still a target and she still had to do the job she was practically forced into doing.

Things sure had become complicated very quickly.

...

Both were now backstage, right in front of Jesse's dressing room. (Y/N) went to knock, her hand hovering over the door, but she hesitated.

"What's the matter?" Eddie whispered, looking down at her conflicted eyes.

"I don't think I can do this, Eddie. I'm not some smooth-talking, eye-fluttering dame. And I'm still not comfortable doing all of this."

"We don't got a choice here, (Y/N)."

"I know. I just don't know how I'm going to talk to such a handsome man like that." Her cheeks began to heat up and she covered them shamefully.

Eddie understood how hard it was for her. And for all the smart comments and wise cracks he sent her way, he still cared very deeply for her. 

But there was no other choice.

"Like this." He stated, knocking on the dressing room door before running away.

(Y/N)'s eyes grew as wide as windows, stunned before she snapped back and angrily cried out, "Eddie!"

But he was already gone as the door opened, a shapely silhouette casting over her. She audibly gulped, her glasses slanting off to the side as she looked up, coming face-to-face with the one and only Jesse Rabbit.

He leaned one arm against the doorframe, looming over the young Toon woman, who gazed up at him in complete awe. Her mouth hung open like it was lost for words and her eyes so wide and innocent. The sight made a sly smile creep up on his face.

"My, my, what do we have here?" He asked, his voice smoother than silk.

"Eep." Was all that managed to slip out as (Y/N)'s knees violently shook.

"Pardon the question but I just gotta know how a Toon like yourself got in here?"

"W-W-Well..."

"Well?"

(Y/N) was losing it. But then again how could she not. He stared at her with a gaze that could melt butter, as well as turn her into melted butter. And his smile made her knees go weak, despite the mischievous air it possessed.

But she managed to take a deep breath, looking to the floor and fixing her glasses as she shyly said, "I b-bribed the owner. And the bouncer."

The smile on Jesse's face grew as he asked, "Really now?"