Chapter 14 - Dark Turn At The Studio

In the blink of an eye, Eddie had sent Delores back home while him, (Y/N) and Roger headed straight towards Maroon Cartoon Studios, to confront the man himself. It was a tad risky but Eddie was sure he'd get the information he needed.

"Let's forget it. There's nobody here." Roger stated as he hid in the car.

"Is that it or are you scared?" Eddie gruffly questioned as him and (Y/N) got out of the car, Roger slowly joining them.

"Pl-pl-pllllease! Me scared? Don't be ridiculous." His teeth started to chatter and he bit down fearfully on his fingers. "When you called Maroon, you told him you had the will, but you don't. When he finds out, he's going to be mad. He might try to kill ya."

"Kill ya?!" (Y/N) exclaimed, her lip now trembling with worry.

Eddie was quick to place a comforting hand on her shoulder as he said, "I'll be fine. I can handle a Hollywood cream puff. I just don't want the odds to change. You two cover my back."

"No, I'm coming with you."

"No you're not, (Y/N). I don't know what might happen up there and I'd feel better knowing you were out of danger."

Eddie was firm but fair, and even though she hated the idea of him facing Maroon all by himself, she just had to hope it would all turn out well. She watched as he started to climb up the stairs while Roger circled back around the car, looking around nervously.

"If you hear or see anything, beep the horn twice." Eddie added, making them both feel a little better.

"Yeah. That's it. Beep the horn twice." Roger repeated, having a newfound confidence as Eddie entered the building. "Cover your back. Boy, I'm ready. Dukes set, eyes peeled, ears to the ground."

(Y/N) giggled at his changed demeanour, finding some comfort in it.

"Sounds like you're ready to take on anything." She joked.

"Of course. I've got Eddie's back."

She giggled once more as she gazed up to where Eddie had entered while Roger held up his fists in a comical manner, showing he was ready for a fight. However, both were unaware of the frying pan that came into view, behind an alley - in front of which Roger was standing. It hovered over his head, waiting to strike.

"Why, nobody gets the drop on Roger Rabbit!"

The frying pan slammed down on Roger's head, successfully knocking him out and allowing whoever did it to drag him away. (Y/N) turned around when she heard the strange noise and was surprised when she couldn't see Roger anywhere.

"R-Rog, where are you?" She timidly called out as she moved to where he had been standing. "Now's not really the time for hide-and-seek."

She came up to the alley and her eyebrows rose in confusion when she saw a pair of shoes standing before her. She fixed her glasses and slowly shifted her gaze up, realizing that the shoes were connected to a figure hiding in the shadows.

Her eyes widened and she backed up, gasping, "You?"

She scrambled to run off but a shadowy hand simply reached out, wiggled their fingers, and snatched her up and into the alley.

...

Meanwhile, up in Maroon's office, he stared at his door with caution, while placing a gun in his pocket. He had been so focused on waiting for Eddie to come through the door that he hadn't noticed him coming through the secret editing room wall entrance. Eddie tapped Maroon's shoulder from behind, making him jump and scream in fear.

He turned to face the private eye, who jokingly asked, "What's up, Doc?"

"Valiant, what are you trying to do, give me a heart attack?!"