Chapter 16 - The Truth Comes Out

(Y/N) attempted to struggle out of Jesse's hold but it was no use. He was just too strong and muscly and handsome and dreamy and- HAVE SOME DAMN SELF-RESPECT!

Jesse chuckled slightly as he disclosed, "I honestly wasn't expecting you to have such strength when you pushed me down. Or such determination. You truly are a surprising girl."

"Your charm won't work on me." She stubbornly declared.

"Give me enough time and I'm sure I could change your mind."

"You kidnapped me and Roger!"

Jesse sighed as he let go of her wrists, turning to face her with a determined look in his eye. "I had a good reason to do so. And if a certain little someone hadn't run away, she'd know my reasons for doing so!"

"You're blaming me for this?"

"Yes, because you ran away when I tried to explain."

"I'm so sorry, it's not like you kidnapped me or anything."

"Look, if I hadn't stepped in then Doom would have probably killed both you and Roger back at the studio!"

It was silent for a moment, (Y/N)'s eyes widening in horror as she questioned, "D-Doom?"

Jesse sighed out in exhaustion, not because of her but just the whole situation in general. He nodded, confirming his words, as he added, "He's the one that killed Marla Acme and he killed Maroon back at the studio too."

(Y/N) stared at him for a moment before narrowing her eyes suspiciously. "How do I know that you're telling truth?"

"Seriously?" Jesse lashed out in exasperation, running a hand through his hair as he asked, "Have you seen Doom? He looks like a living grim reaper! And have I given you any reason not to trust me?"

"Um, you kidnapped me!"

"To protect you!"

"And I want to believe that!"

"Then why won't you?"

"Because I like you!"

Jesse's eyes widened as he stared down at her, complete shock taking over from her confession. Tears brimmed in her eyes but she was quick to wipe them away and refusing to meet his gaze.

"W-What?"

"I...I like you. I have ever since I first saw you. And it only grew when...you opened up to me in your dressing room."

"Really?"

"Yeah. And as much as it kills me to say it, after all you've done to me, I want to believe that you're a good guy. That everything you're saying is true. But, when I opened up my heart to you, you broke it."

Jesse didn't know what to say. He had been so caught up in trying to clear Roger's name and chasing down Doom, that he hadn't realized how much he had hurt (Y/N) in the process of doing so.

In that moment, she looked so broken and on the brink of completely letting go and crying her heart out. In their case, it could be an actual possibility. But he didn't want her feeling like she couldn't even let him see her heart when he wanted nothing more than to hold it close to his own.

"My heart wants nothing more than for me to trust you." She admitted as she wrapped her arms tightly around herself, a few tears spilling over as she did. "But it seems I can never trust it when it comes to trusting you."

He could feel his own heart breaking at her confession. He had never wanted her to feel like that and, without thinking, he took her hand into his, intertwining their fingers.