Chapter 3

Chapter 3 

By the time Beth had fought her way round Asda, (she had forgotten that in the summer season, holidaymakers stocking up on beers and barbecues swelled the numbers of regular shoppers), it was 8.30PM. She made her way back to the cottage and unloaded the shopping from the car. When she had organised the kitchen to a state that she could at least live with until the morning, she decided to forget the pub and make herself a light supper, open a bottle of wine, and collapse into bed. 

She was just finishing her second glass when her mobile rang; she looked at the caller ID and flipped the phone open. "Hi, Trish." 

"Hiya Beth, I didn't call earlier as I thought you would be too busy unpacking to talk. How are things in the deepest, darkest part of Cornwall then?" 

"Fine, everything seemed to get here in one piece, including me. I'm just winding down with a glass of wine before I get some shut eye. I'm exhausted." 

"I bet, because you go and run off on your own without a moment's thought about your friends. If you had stayed up here, we could have all chipped in and helped." 

Beth sighed. Here we go again. 

"I thought we had done this to death Trish. I had to get away, right away; you know fresh start and all that. It will be tough without your shoulder to cry on, but I can cope on my own honest." 

"Yeah, well, that remains to be seen. As I said before you left, you can't keep running away Beth. One day you will have to stay put and settle down like the rest of us." 

"Who says? I like my freedom, I don't want to be tied down ever, I just can't do the whole relationship, kids, house thing. You should know that by now." 

"I still think the only person you're fooling with that attitude is yourself, but it's the train wrecks you leave behind you that get me. Steve is still wandering round as if he has been pole axed you know." 

"He'll get over it, they always do." Beth rolled her eyes. 

"Well, although you are my best friend, I just think that one day you will fall headlong into a relationship. And maybe the guy will be the one to do the running; you might get a taste of your own medicine." 

"Not a chance, you know my motto, the three F's." 

And they both chanted in unison "Find 'em, fuck 'em, and forget 'em." 

"I just don't think you are as tough as you would like us to believe Beth. I have known you now what? Five years, and although I tried to get through that armour of yours without much success, I know that what ever turned you into this hard arsed bitch when it comes to men has to be resolved sometime. You can't go through life not experiencing the highs and lows of love, and one day you will realise that. I hope." 

"Yeah, well, I think I'm fine as I am. Thanks very much, but let's not argue on my first night here, please Trish." 

"I'm sorry; I just worry about you, that's all. Anyway talking of the three F's, have you met any local talent yet?" 

"Give me a chance, I have only been here a day. I did have a run in with an arrogant farmer who accused me of blocking his access." 

"I have never known you to block any guy's access," Trish laughed on the other end of the line. "Was he the weather beaten Heathcliff type then, all gruff and muscles?" 

"I wouldn't know. I was too busy telling him where he could get off." 

"Oh come on, when have you ever been slow in assessing the opposite sex?"