Chapter 11

Chapter 11 

Liam jumped down from his tractor and strode across the yard towards the farmhouse. His mind was in turmoil, and he took no notice of his labs bouncing around to welcome him back. He went straight to the fridge, grabbed a bottle of Bud, twisted off the top, and took a long swig. Letting the ice-cold beer slide down his throat, he walked through to the living room and slumped down into his favourite, old armchair. 

What the hell was going on? He couldn't understand how this girl had got under his skin so quickly, but he could still feel the pain from when his insides had twisted at the sight of her locked in the arms of Rory down on the beach. He ran one hand through his unruly hair as he tried to make sense of what had happened. 

He closed his eyes and let out a long breath, remembering the vow he made as he stood beside the graves of his family. He was determined to keep the farm going and continue the good work his father and brother had started. There was no way he would ever let anyone else grow so close to him, only to lose that person. He knew he would not be able to bear what was left of his heart being torn apart. However, as he sat there, he couldn't stop the images of Beth on the beach, her shrieks of laughter as she was pushed into the water, and oh, the sight of her in that wet vest. 

He felt his jeans tighten as his body responded to the images, and he groaned in frustration. Maybe celibacy wasn't the way to go, perhaps all he needed was a night of meaningless sex to lighten his mood and get her out of his brain. Checking his watch, he realised he had enough time to shower and change before heading out to Newquay for the evening. He pushed himself out of the chair and strode towards the stairs, he may have been away from the surfing scene for a while, but hell, he still looked good, and was sure he wouldn't have any trouble picking up one of the beach babes that hung around the clubs. 

Half an hour later, he had showered, dressed, and gunning his jeep down the country lanes, heading for Newquay. By 9PM, he was pulling into the car park of the Beachcombers Bar. He jumped over the side of the jeep and couldn't help but notice he had drawn the attention of four blondes who sat by the wall overlooking the sea. Although inwardly pleased that he still had his old pulling power, he decided he needed a drink before he put his plan into action. Walking into the bar, he looked around to see if any familiar faces were there and heard a whistle and his name being called. "Yo! Liam, dude, over here!" 

He turned and saw one of his old surfing buddies, Piran, waving at him from the bar; he walked over and greeted with slaps on the back from a few of the old crowd he used to hang with. 

"Hey, man, it's been way too long, but it's good to see you. How have you been?"  

"Ah, you know, the farm takes up all my time these days," he replied, taking the bottle of Bud Piran offered him. 

His friend looked at him with what looked like a mixture of sympathy and frustration. 

"Yeah, I understand, Liam, but you can't bury yourself over there forever." 

Pushing a hand through his tousled, wind dried hair, Liam took a deep breath before replying, deciding it wasn't worth trying to argue his point. 

"Well, I'm here now, aren't I?" 

"Too right," Piran replied, tapping his bottle against Liam's. 

They stood, catching up for a while until Piran's eyes lit up and he nudged Liam, "Two hot chicks are eyeing us up mate. Do you feel like doing the old double team?" 

Liam glanced in the direction of Piran's gaze and saw a blonde and a brunette smiling at them. His mind drifted back to the beautiful redhead causing him sleepless nights, then shook himself; he needed to get her out of his head.