Chapter 20

Chapter 20 

"Oh my god, I can't believe you're here. I was afraid you would never speak to me again." Beth sobbed, hugging her friend. 

Trish pushed her away slightly and looked into her eyes. "Why would you think that?" 

"Because I never told you that stuff about me. Then spewed it all out to a virtual stranger, and to add insult to injury, I told you in an email because I couldn't face telling you on the phone. I am the worst friend anyone could have." she groaned and rubbed her teary eyes. 

"Hey, why do you think I dropped everything and came down here? I knew there was something, but I wasn't going to force it out of you. I'm not mad because you felt ready to tell Liam and not me. I just thought you might need me now, so here I am." 

She smiled and hugged Beth again. "So, are you going to invite me in, or do I have to interrogate you about the hunk who just dropped you off, out here on the doorstep?" 

Beth sniffed but couldn't help laughing as she opened the door and led Trish into her cottage. 

Switching the kettle on as she walked through the lounge and running up the stairs, she called back to Trish, 

"Make yourself at home while I go and change out of these damp clothes." 

"It sounds like you have a lot to tell me, girlfriend." Trish shouted up to her as she settled herself on the sofa. 

Beth quickly rinsed the salt water out of her hair and changed into a bikini, covered by a vest top and shorts. 

Towelling her hair, she walked back down to the lounge. "Wow! I still can't believe you're here." 

Trish grinned at her, "Well, I won't be much longer if you don't shift your arse and make that coffee." 

They sat together on the sofa, and Trish told her how she had literally dropped everything, including the kids, at her mother's and caught the first available train down to see her. 

"I realise you're getting to know some people in the village, but it sounded like you needed an old friend to help you get your head around what's been going on. Especially as some of your new friends, seem to be heavily involved in this. My god, Beth, you don't do things by halves do you?" she chuckled and patted her knee. 

Beth grimaced, "I came down here for some peace and quiet and to sort myself out." 

"So, how's that working out?" Trish laughed. 

Beth loved the fact that no matter what they talked about or how deep the conversation got, Trish always had the capacity to make her see the lighter side of things. She just wished she'd been able to open up to her earlier, she still felt ashamed that she turned to Liam and not Trish. 

Watching Beth's expression change to one of pain, Trish slapped her hand. "Hey, missy, I can see where your mind is going so stop beating yourself up, ok?" 

Beth gave her a small smile. "Ok." 

"Now, tell me all about getting down and dirty with Liam." She leered at her, wiggling her eyebrows. 

Beth blushed when images flashed into her head of what happened on the very spot where she was sitting. 

"Oh my god! This is where you did the dirty deed, you little slut!" she giggled. 

"I want all the details and marks out of ten." When Beth nearly choked on her coffee, Trish carried on, "Just remember, I am a bored married woman with two kids. I need to live my sexual fantasies vicariously through you, so spill." She sat back and crossed her arms.