Chapter 15

Chapter 15 

Beth was getting angrier by the minute with all this talk of magic stones and true love. She didn't want anything to do with it. 

"Look, you two, I don't know what you've been sniffing, but can you keep your delusions to yourselves? This is bullshit, and the last thing I am looking for is a 'soul mate,' seeing as there's no such thing!" she hissed at them across the table, trying desperately to control her temper. 

"Beth, please listen to Mummy. It's true, she should know as the stones brought her and daddy together." Ginny pleaded with her. "Why have you shut yourself off to love? I can see it in your eyes, and it's such a waste when you could be so happy." 

"Oh, yeah? I know that fairy tale.... They all lived happily ever after." 

Feeling the tears threatening, she jumped up from her chair, making it fall over. 

"Please, just leave me alone. You really don't understand what you are doing to me!" She couldn't hold back the sob that came out as she spoke those last words, and the tears started to run down her cheeks. She had to get away fast, so she turned on her heel and ran towards the door. 

"Ginny, go after her. We can't let her go home in that state." 

Bunny watched with a deep sadness in her eyes as her daughter ran after Beth. 

Liam was just lifting a pint to his lips when the door to the lounge crashed open and Beth ran through and out the front door, he was sure she was crying. 

He was about to go after her when Ginny came rushing through the same door. 

Before she could escape, he grabbed her arm, bringing her to an abrupt halt. 

"Ginny," he growled, "You had better tell me what you and your mother have done to upset Beth." 

She looked at him and he could see the distress on her face. "We were just trying to help her. It's the stones," she cried. 

"Oh, for fuck sake, Ginny, not that crap again!" 

"It's true, but there was something in her eyes, such a deep hurt. I'm not sure I can break through it." She sighed, worried for her new friend. 

Liam let go of her arm and looked towards the door. "I think you've done enough for one night. I'll go and make sure she gets home safely. Then, I'm going to talk to your mother and put a stop to this rubbish once and for all." 

He strode out the door and went after Beth. It wasn't that far to her cottage, and he hoped he could catch up with her before she locked herself in. 

His long legs covered the ground quickly, and he could see her up ahead, more stumbling than running. She was obviously very distraught. 

"Beth!" he called out to her, trying not to spook her. 

She turned on him, her face wet from tears, and her eyes full of anger. "Get the hell away from me!" she shouted at him. "Is this all part of their plan? Very convenient, that they sent you of all people after me." She turned to walk away. 

Liam grabbed her by the shoulders and turned her back to face him, his eyes searching her face for any clue as to what she was talking about. 

"No one sent me after you Beth. I could see how upset you were and after tearing a strip off Ginny, I just wanted to make sure you got home safe." 

"Well, you needn't have bothered. I'm quite capable of getting home on my own, and when I do, I'm starting to pack!" 

"What? Why?" he stammered, not understanding why he felt his heart missing a beat when she spoke of leaving. 

"Because I am done with this crazy village, you are all certifiable and it's like living in the bloody twilight zone!" she screamed at him and then broke down sobbing again. 

He pulled her in closer and wrapped his arms around her body. 

"Hey, we're not all nutters here, you know. Bunny and Ginny just suffer from overactive imaginations, coupled with reading too many romance novels." he chuckled. 

She tried to pull away from him, her eyes fierce as she replied. "This isn't a joke, Liam. They really shouldn't try to meddle with people's lives. You of all people should know how I'm feeling." 

He let go of her shoulders and stepped back as if she'd slapped him. His eyes became icy, and his jaw muscles clenched. 

"I see the tongues have been wagging again, so you got all the juicy gossip about me." he replied in a low, controlled tone that almost hid the hurt and anger he was feeling. 

"Not so great now, is it?" she taunted him. 

He winced at the bitterness in her voice, rubbing a hand through his hair, he sighed. 

"Look Beth, I don't want to make this any worse than it is. Let me walk you home, and then I'm going to give Bunny a piece of my mind." 

"It won't do you any good, especially as you're involved in this fairy tale as well." 

His head whipped up in disbelief. "What are you talking about?" 

"Oh, didn't you realise that you are my 'Soul mate'?" she said, making the parenthesis action with her fingers and grimacing. 

His face visibly paled at hearing that word, and he felt the hurt searing through his chest. 

Beth looked at him with concern. "What did I say?" 

He tried to compose himself and wave his reaction away. "It's nothing, probably still feeling the effects of my hangover." 

"Don't give me that. What I said hurt you, and I want to know why. I've listened to enough bullshit tonight, so just tell me the truth." As she said this, she moved closer and laid a hand on his shoulder. He felt a warmth flow through him from her touch that ran all the way down to his toes. Suddenly, he realised that he was tired of shutting people out. He needed to talk to someone and who better than Beth? She had no agenda, unlike most of his friends; she also looked as if she could do with the same thing. So, perhaps, they could help each other. 

He shrugged and looked around at the lane they were stood in. "Look, I'll agree to tell you if we can go to your place, perhaps for a coffee?" He gave her a sheepish grin. 

Beth blew out a breath, releasing a lot of her pent up anger. She didn't want to be angry at him. From the look in his eyes, he was hurting as much as she was from all the meddling. 

"Ok, I can do coffee and a chat, but that's all." She stared at him, waiting for him to agree. 

His eyes seemed to warm as he looked at her, and he gave a slight smile. "You've got a deal."