Chapter 19

Chapter 19 

After two hours of waiting to hear from Trish, she was going nuts. So Beth decided to take her sketch pad and have a wander round the village. She strolled down the lane, stopping occasionally to sketch flowers in the hedgerows, marvelling at the array of colours and shapes. When she reached the main road, she headed towards the village shop to pick up a drink and snack. As soon as she walked through the door, she was greeted by Joan Mercer in her usual jolly fashion. 

"Well, good morning to you, Beth. Did you enjoy the party at Bunny's the other night?" 

"Hi, Joan. Yes, I did, and I made some new friends, although, I have to admit, I was feeling worse for wear the next morning." She grimaced at the thought of exactly how bad she had felt that morning. 

"Well, at least you had fun and don't worry, you weren't the only one with a sore head the next morning." she replied, laughing. "By the way, I hear you have made quite an impression on a few of the single males in the village. You won't be short of dates this summer." 

Beth blushed at her comment and walked quickly to the back of the shop, deciding she was not going to hang around to be interrogated. Choosing a soft drink and a cereal bar, she turned to head back to the counter when she spotted a rack of paperbacks. One title stood out, it was the history of the village complete with some myths and legends. She pulled one down and flicked through it. When she saw that it mentioned the stone circle, she decided to buy it. Perhaps she could finally get to the bottom of all the speculation about the magic of the stones and her supposed role in all of it. Spotting the book as she rung up Beth's purchases, Joan chuckled. 

"So, you're swatting up on our local legends are you? I gather Bunny has had a hand in stirring things up around the village about you and Liam." 

Beth was in the middle of counting out some change and promptly dropped it all on the floor at hearing Joan's remark. 

"Damn!" She bent quickly to retrieve the money, hoping that she could hide her reaction from Joan. She stood up and placed the money on the counter, jumping a little when Joan patted her hand. 

"Don't go getting yourself all worked up over it. Bunny likes to stick her nose into everyone's business, but her heart's in the right place." She smiled warmly at Beth as she rang up the items on the till and took her cash. 

Beth didn't reply, she just grabbed her purchases and shot out of the shop as if the devil himself was on her tail. "Bloody hell!" she muttered, as she stormed along the path. "What is it with these people? They obviously have way too much time on their hands." Striding along the path, head down, still fuming, Beth was determined to put as much distance between her and the rest of the villagers. But her forward motion was halted abruptly by hitting what felt like a brick wall. "Ooomph!" she cried, as she was catapulted backwards onto the pavement. 

"Oh my god, Beth! I am so sorry." She recognised the voice and her eyes rose slowly up the jean clad legs in front of her and over the slim hips and firm abs accentuated by the snug fitting t-shirt. "Hey! Are you ok?" a worried face appeared in front of her nose and she shrieked in surprise. 

Recognising Rory, she let out a breath of relief. 

"I'm so sorry Rory, I was miles away." 

"Yeah, I noticed." He laughed as he reached out a hand to help her up. 

She stood and brushed dust off her backside as he bent to pick up her belongings that were scattered around her feet, rising slowly as his eyes lingered on her bare legs.