Chapter 18

Chapter 18 

Beth showered, ate breakfast, and tried to get some work done, but try as she might, she couldn't concentrate. No matter how hard she tried to focus on the illustration in front of her, she couldn't shake the images in her head. She sighed as she remembered the feel of Liam inside her and the way his eyes became dark pools as they exploded together in the most amazing orgasm she had ever experienced. The last thing she expected after baring her soul to him in a drunken haze the night before, was to end up getting down and dirty with him on the sofa this morning. Thoughts of a repeat performance sent shivers down her spine. The fact that Liam was happy with the whole 'friends with benefits' deal was great. Although, she couldn't help thinking she saw something else in his eyes when he replied to her 'just sex' comment. Then again, he was fighting his own demons so anything more than friends would not be an issue. 

Thinking back over what she'd said, she realised that she was tired of running away and there was something about her little cottage and the village that gave her a feeling of...what? She searched for a word to describe what she was feeling, but couldn't quite put her finger on it. A chime from her phone brought her back to earth and she read the text. 

So, have you been eaten by Goblins or what? Trish 

She laughed; her friend never beat around the bush. Beth was about to dial her number when the thought occurred to her that she would have to explain about Liam. 

Trish wouldn't be very happy that Beth had opened up to Liam about her mother instead of her best friend. "Oh hell!" she groaned as she rubbed her hands over her face. The thought of going over it again made her feel sick. It was hard enough the first time, and she'd had the help of a few glasses of brandy. 

Taking the cowards' way out, she decided to send Trish an email instead and hoped she wouldn't go ballistic. Her fingers skimmed rapidly over her computer keyboard as all the gory details spewed out. She bit her lip, willing the tears that threatened not to fall; she'd done enough crying last night. When she had finished, she faltered with her finger hovering over the mouse button. Taking a deep breath, she clicked on 'send' and sat back, waiting for her phone to ring. 

Liam didn't go straight back to the farm, he detoured to the manor. He needed to set Bunny straight about her meddling. Walking round the back of the house, he was greeted by a cacophony of dogs barking excitedly inside. He knocked on the door and walked in. Bunny never stood on ceremony; it was open house to all her friends. 

He made a fuss of the dogs as they jumped up at him and called out, "Anyone home?" 

Hearing footsteps on the stairs, he walked through the door into the large hall and was met by Ginny as she jumped the last few steps and swung round the newel post. 

"Hey, Liam! What brings you here?" she asked as she gave him a peck on the cheek. 

"Where's Bunny?" he asked gruffly. 

"Mummy's gone to the farmers' market in Truro. She won't be back for a while. Is there anything I can do?" 

"Actually, there is, Ginny." he stated angrily as he glared at her. 

Ginny took a step back, startled by the anger in his eyes. 

"If this is about last night, I can explain..." 

"No, you can't!" he cut her off. "What on earth possessed you to start all this stones nonsense up again? With Beth of all people!" 

Ginny didn't miss the look of affection that flickered in his eyes as he mentioned Beth's name, but decided not to go there. 

"I admit we got a bit carried away, but we were just trying to explain to Beth the significance of the stones and the Piskies." 

"What do you mean the Piskies?" He looked worried now. 

"She saw them Liam, sitting on her wall!" exclaimed Ginny as she brushed passed him and walked into the kitchen. He grabbed her arm and stopped her forward motion. 

"Hey!" she cried. 

"When did she see them?" he demanded. 

"The night of the party, they sat on her wall talking about lost souls. She put it down to the Tequilas, but when I called round to see her the next day, she was doing one of her illustrations, and it was them. She dismissed it and said she had just drawn some fairies for the book, but I swear, Liam, it was them!" Ginny had become more animated as she spoke, and she almost squealed the last few words. 

Liam winced at the sound of her voice as his head was starting to throb, which he put down to the brandy he had consumed the night before. He considered what Ginny had said for a few moments and then frowned. 

"So where do I fit into all this?"  

Ginny clasped her hands under her chin and grinned. "Don't you see? They were talking about two lost souls and who are the only people in the village that fit that description?" 

Liam felt anger rise inside him. "Is that how you think of me? I know I'm the favourite topic of conversation around here, which pisses me off, but a lost soul?" he spat out in disgust. 

Ginny laid a hand on his arm trying to calm him down. "Oh, Liam! We've all seen it in your eyes. You torture yourself over the accident..." He opened his mouth to deny what Ginny was saying but she cut him off. "No, Liam, don't deny it. You've buried yourself in the farm, with some misguided idea that you have to stay and keep it going even though it was never what you wanted. You used to be so much fun and full of life, but that Liam died the day of the accident." She looked into his eyes, as if searching for the person he used to be. Just for a second, she thought she saw a glimpse of the old Liam before he looked away and his face became a mask again. 

"I'm sorry if this makes you uncomfortable, but it's about time someone told you the truth. We all care about you, Liam." 

She waited for the inevitable explosion of anger from him, but it never came. He raked a hand through his hair and sighed. "You don't need to apologise. I've not been the easiest person to be around since it happened. I had a long talk with Beth last night, and it helped a lot." 

Ginny's eyes lit up at what he'd said. "So you and Beth are...?" She grinned at him. 

He cleared his throat and rubbed the back of his neck. "Just friends, Ginny, don't go reading more into it, ok? There's been enough gossip about me, and I don't want Beth to be subjected to the same." 

"Hey! I like Beth, and I wouldn't do anything to hurt her, but it looks like the stones are working their magic again." 

Liam held up his hand. "Stop it, Ginny! Just because our parents believed in all that rubbish, doesn't make it real!" 

"Ok, ok!" she sighed. "But, promise me one thing." She gave him a sly look. 

"What?" he huffed and crossed his arms. 

"Don't make any plans for Midsummer's Eve." 

"The only thing I can promise you is, I will be nowhere near the stones on that night." he snapped angrily and turned towards the door. "I need to get back to the farm. Goodbye, Ginny." 

"I wouldn't bet on that." she said quietly as she watched him walk away.