Chapter 6

Chapter 6 

Beth didn't have any trouble finding the Manor House. She could hear the music from the party before she even got to the drive. She decided to wear jeans that slung low on her hips with a tank top that didn't quite reach her navel. It showed off her piercing and she carried a heavy, denim jacket for later when it cooled down. She had brushed out her hair and left it loose around her shoulders, silver hoop earrings swung from her ears and a dozen assorted slim bangles jangled on her arm. Feeling slightly nervous, she strolled up towards the large house and could see the party in a large field to the side. Lights were strung on the trees, straw bales were placed around for people to sit on, a large bonfire towards the back of the field, and what appeared to be a pig roast alongside a well stocked bar. Music blared from speakers strung amongst the trees and there already appeared to be quite a few people there drinking, eating burgers, chatting and laughing. A few heads turned as she walked towards the bar, thinking she would grab a drink first to ease her nerves at meeting so many strangers. She grabbed a bottle of bud and turned to see if there were any familiar faces around. That was when she saw Joan bustling towards her. 

"Beth, so glad you made it. Let me introduce you to some people," she grabbed her arm and led her towards a small knot of men and women. 

"This is my husband, John," she smiled up at a rather round, red faced man with thinning hair and a large grin on his face. 

"So, this is Beth," he held out his hand, "I have heard a lot about you, young lady, making your mark in the village already," he roared with laughter as Beth blushed. 

"Well, I hope I don't manage to put my foot in it again tonight. I seem to have a habit of upsetting the locals, and I have only been here since yesterday," she grinned sheepishly. 

"Don't worry about old Bunny, my dear, she has very thick skin and she doesn't hold a grudge. Well, not for very long anyway," he roared with laughter again. 

Joan and John introduced her to a variety of middle aged couples whose names she promptly forgot, but they all seemed warm and friendly towards her. She felt herself starting to relax. She excused herself to get another drink and bumped into Bunny on the way to the bar. 

"There you are, young lady. Come and meet my daughter, Ginny, and her friends. I am sure you will feel more comfortable with the younger crowd." She dragged her over to a group of twenty something's who sat around on straw bales. 

"Ginny, Ginny dear, here's that gal I was telling you about. Introduce her to your friends, will you, dear." A tall blonde with her mother's striking features, but slightly softer, turned towards Beth. 

"Hi, nice to meet you." As Bunny strode off, she whispered, "It's nice to find someone who can stand up to Mummy when she goes off on one. She was quite impressed, you know." Hearing this, Beth blushed again. 

"Well, it was just a misunderstanding. I was just a bit prickly after my run in with Liam yesterday about the same thing." 

"So, you have already met the village's most eligible bachelor then?" She grinned, and Beth felt the butterflies in her stomach again. She smiled back, not really feeling ready to comment on her reaction to Liam. 

"But, I must warn you, he's not really interested in dating. Poor guy has a lot on his plate, with one thing and another, so I wouldn't waste your time on him. Come and meet my gang, I'm sure we can find someone to fix you up with." 

Beth looked a bit startled and stuttered, "I'm not really worth the effort either, I'm afraid, not really into dating much." 

"Oh, come on, you're not intending to live like a nun cooped up in that cottage, are you?" laughed Ginny. "Do I detect a deep, dark secret lurking there? Was your heart broken, and you have come to hide away in the depths of Cornwall to pine away?" She giggled again.