chapter sixteen

When I open my English classroom's door, expecting the worse, and the worst I get. Elijah Jones sits in one of the chairs, positioned in the back row. His feet rest upon the desk crossed over each other. He is on his phone, probably scrolling through a random girl's Instagram, or sending suspicious snaps.

As he sees me, Elijah's entire face lights up, resembling a small child on Christmas.

"Cutie, come sit next to me. I'm sure that you would love to keep me company." He pats the spare seat next to him, enthusiasm evident throughout his tone.

I decide not to argue with him. But I hold a scowl as I drag my feet towards his desk, dropping my school bag and falling into the chair.

"So, what did you do to land yourself in detention? I thought that you were a good student?" I can't tell whether Elijah is mocking me, or is genuinely curious.

"Well, apparently in Italy, it is greatly frowned upon, if you hit a teacher with the door." I then add a sarcastic remark. "Who would have known?"

"Ha, funny. Mr. Binvard seems to have it out for me. Apparently, I breathed too loudly... so here I am."

I stifle a snort, finding his reason for detention very funny, but my amusement is short-lived since my English teacher- who I just found out is called Mr. Binvard- walks into the classroom.

"Ovviamente. Abbiamo i soliti amanti della detenzione. E diamo il benvenuto al nostro nuovo "Mi piace mentire sulla mia ragazza di famiglia". Ti chiederei di presentarti, ma sono sicuro che inventeresti una piccola bugia stupida. Non è vero, ragazzina?" Mr. Binvard mocks me rudely, but I don't speak up, knowing that he won't believe anything I say. Of course. We have the usual detention lovers. And we are welcoming our new 'I like to lie about my family girl'. I'd ask you to introduce yourself, but I'm sure that you would make up a stupid little lie. Isn't that right, little girl?

"Cominciamo. Penso che oggi staremo tutti seduti in silenzio per l'intera ora del pranzo. Poi, dopo la scuola, quando il signor Jones e la signorina mi piace mentire, tornare, continueremo il nostro tempo di silenzio. Come ti sembra? Non mi interessa davvero. E se qualcuno di voi emette un suono, allora presenterò un reclamo e vi farò una pesante sospensione. Soprattutto tu nuova ragazza delle bugie." The old man snaps. I really wish that I had hit him with the door a lot harder than I did. Maybe it would have shut him and his stupid mouth up. Let us start. I think that today, we will all sit in silence for the entire hour of lunch. Then after school when Mr. Jones, and Miss. I like to lie, come back, we'll continue our silent time. How does that sound? I don't really care. And if any of you do make a sound, then I'll file a complaint and get you all a hefty suspension. Especially you new girl of lies.

"You're coming back after school?" Elijah whispers to me, sounding surprised.

I scoff before answering him. "Yeah, Mr. Rubbish bin gave me one detention for hitting him with a door, and another one for 'lying' about my family and my last name."

"Oh tough," he whispers to me, before facing the front as we turn silent.

***

The entire lunch hour passes, and finally, we're allowed out of the class. I have double health now, and I'm sure that it is going to be boring.

Ok, it was very boring, I spent an entire lesson learning about not bullying other students. Like I don't know any bullies. Note the sarcasm.

Halfway through my health lesson, a few texts came my way. They were from Mack, Posey, and my group chats, that we have on Messages. I open them, hoping that my friends are asking how I am. Instead, I receive a sad surprise.