chapter thirty three

Mr. Jones, Elijah, Mrs. Jones, and I are currently sitting in a car, on our way to the safe, which has been provided by someone who owed the Jones family a favor. I have been told to keep my expectations very low because we are trying to blend in.

So that is exactly what I have been doing. I imagine a dingy, festy house, with rats that scurry through the walls. A roof will be secured on top of the unstable structure, holding on by a slim thread, and ready to fall off at any time. If there is even a garden, it will be overgrown with weeds, as well as other poisonous plants. Our car might have to be parked across the street because there is no driveway. A picket fence will be falling apart, with the once vibrant color, molding, and peeling.

Not a pretty sight, but since my expectations are set low, it is exactly what I imagine.

For the entire drive, Elijah's hand has been resting on my thigh, slowly running up and down, as a way to comfort both him and me. After nearly three hours of driving, we have come to a sketchy place in the town.

A place where common people sell drugs. Abusive people act upon their deadly desires. Cats screech all night long, for seemingly no reason at all. To state the obvious, it is not a good place to be, but I can definitely learn to adapt, it is what I do best.

Mr. Jones pulls into up to a house, and my mouth parts in shock. Half of me was expecting it, and the other half wasn't. It is nicer than my brain initiated, with several stories attached. However, it looks overgrown and unkept, but this doesn't bother me, just a little bit more work to do.

I jump out of the car, and Elijah is quickly behind me.

"Wow dad, this is a lot better than I expected. We will have it all fixed up, and homely looking, within a week," Eli says, and I nod my head enthusiastically, from behind him, trying to reassure the older couple.

"In you go kids, the man who lent the house to us, left it unlocked. We will get the bags, and be right behind you," Mrs. Jones says, flashing us a dazzling smile, and showing off her white pearly teeth.

Holding onto Elijah's hand, we walk up to the house and are both hesitant to go any further. But I take a leap of faith. For some reason, this old Victorian home reminds me of the Burrow, that was featured in the Harry Potter series.

Except now, there are no ragnas living in the house, instead just a couple of people who are technically frauds and breaking the law.

The insides of the house are filled with dust, and the place appears to have not been used in a very long time. A grand piano is positioned at the edge of the room, seeming to be untouched. A set of carpet stairs line the ground, going up to what is probably the second floor of this house. Another set of similar stairs are probably on the level above, going up again.

Then, there are stairs heading downstairs, and suddenly the brave feeling that lingered in my soul is gone, and replaced with a terrifying emotion, of the unknown. Elijah on the other hand, seems completely comfortable, now that we have stepped inside the decaying house.

His eyes are gazing over every nook and cranny of the spacious room, before rolling over me. Mr. and Mrs. Jones have now entered the house, with the few bags that we brought. They look at each other and smile, leaning into a soft embrace, before looking back at us.

Both Eli and I seem awkward, and as if we are intruding on their moment.

"How about you guys go upstairs and choose a room. If you want, you can share, otherwise, pick individual rooms. It is all up to you," Mr. Jones explains in a dismissive tone, probably wanting some alone time with his wife.

Elijah and I walk up the stairs, which creaked loudly with every step that is taken. I turn to him when we have reached the second floor.

"I vote for a shared room." My voice comes out sheepishly, and I almost feel embarrassed by my statement, as if I am forcing it upon Eli.

"Oh, phew! Thank fuck you said that, I could not sleep by myself in this house. I would probably come and find you anyway," he says in a relieved way, as we pass all of the doors.

One particular bedroom catches my eye, and I open the door slightly wider. It is a pastel blue color and is practically screaming my name. Golden engravings line the sturdy walls, and a pretty mirror is hung up. The bed is large and obviously made for more than one person. Several armchairs are scattered around the room, all matching the blue theme. I am sure that Elijah and I could redecorate it slightly, to make it fit both of our styles.

"Yep. Yes. We will take it," Eli rushes out, scurrying into the blue room.

He dramatically falls on the bed, sprawling out like a starfish.

"It is nice," I mumble, running my hand across the materials of each furniture item. They all feel soft to touch.

"We should probably go back downstairs, and get out bag up here. Maybe we can unpack what little stuff we brought, before calling it a night. Even though it is only a couple of hours difference here, compared to Italy, I sure am tired."

I silently agree with Eli's statement, and follow him downstairs, to collect the bag. At a dining table, sits Mrs. Jones, Mr. Jones and another middle aged man. They look to be having an intense conversation, and I feel bad for interrupting it.

"Ah, you must be Amity," the unknown man says.

I glance at Mrs. Jones, who gives me an expression that says, 'go ahead, tell him.' After seeing this, I nod my head gently, not making eye contact with the man.

"You sure do look a lot like your brothers, even with pink hair. The only way that you will be able to fight them, is with power, so that is what we have to do," he continues, full of words and wisdom.

I scrunch my eyebrows in confusion. Power? Fight? The man notices my naïve expression. He chuckles slightly, before answering my unasked question.

"I am going to train you."

A/N: Hey guys!! Thank you so much for 9.3k reads, it means the world to me!!! If you enjoyed this chapter, please remember to vote, comment, and continue reading when I post another chapter tomorrow. I love you all so much. Byeeeee <<<3