chapter thirty one

Elijah and I haven't gone to school for the past two days, his parents made the decision that it was too dangerous. To be honest, I am surprised about how welcoming they are, since a couple of weeks ago, Mr. Jones was publicly insulting me. But I guess that anywhere away from my family is good.

We leave today. Slovenia is waiting for us. Elijah and I packed a bag, only carrying essential items since we will be able to get everything we don't have in Slovenia. I am currently sitting in the Jones' family car. The parents sit at the front, with Mr. Jones driving, while me and Elijah are in the back.

There was a huge debate this morning about whose car we would be taking. Eli was desperate for us to bring his shiny, red car, but his parents explained that it would draw too much unwanted attention.

After nearly an hour of arguing, he hesitantly agreed, only on the terms that he could sit next to me on the plane. Who was I to object, when that was exactly what I wanted.

"When we get to the airport, keep a low profile. Keep your heads down the entire time. I am sure that the Romano's are heavily guarding the place. They probably expect us to leave," Mrs. Jones reminds us, and we all nod in agreement.

Mr. Jones parks the car, in the 'to take' area, meaning that air hostesses will take it on a separate airplane, and transport it to Slovenia for us. We hop out of the car, and Elijah takes the bag that shares our necessities, while the parents take the single suitcase that they need.

Eli wraps his arm around my waist protectively and pulls me close to his body. You see, we are pretending to be a young couple, going on a small holiday, with Elijah's parents. We even went to the trouble of creating fake IDs.

I am no longer Amity Romano, instead, I am Carlotta Jacobs. A young girl who dropped out of high school in an attempt to peruse her career as an actress. Only for it to backfire. Along the way, I supposedly met Elijah, who is now known as Thomas.

We enter the airport and try to blend in with the rest of the people. I can't help but gulp after noticing a couple of broad men wearing black. I am almost certain of why they are here. As a precaution, I throw the hood of my jumper over my head.

We dressed me up in four shirts, to make my body image appear different, and Mrs. Jones used pink hair chalk, which completely covers my natural look. If you don't take a good look at me, you wouldn't guess that I am the missing girl.

Yes, you heard me right. Missing. The night that I dramatically left the school, my family filed a missing person report, so for the past two days, my face has been stuck up on posters, which have been passed everywhere throughout Sicily.

We have to pass through security first, since both of the bags are carry-ons. We may or may not get past this stage, but we have to try. Elijah and I unload all devices and metals onto the conveyer belt, and Mr. and Mrs. Jones do the same.

A security lady comes up to us, as we are passing through.

"Ehi ragazzi, stiamo solo cercando una ragazza. Se la conosci, o l'hai vista, potresti per favore denunciarlo direttamente alla polizia. La sua famiglia è molto preoccupata. Il suo nome è Amity, e sì, la stessa Amity a cui probabilmente stai pensando. Amity Romano è scomparsa due giorni fa dalla sua scuola e da allora nessuno l'ha più sentita," she says, holding a poster with my face on it. Me a few months ago, when I was in Australia. Hey guys, we are just looking for a girl. If you know her, or have seen her, could you please report it straight to the police. Her family is very worried. Her name is Amity, and yes, the same Amity you are probably thinking of. Amity Romano disappeared two days ago from her school, and no one has heard from her since.

"Mi dispiace tanto, non l'abbiamo vista, purtroppo siamo solo di passaggio, in viaggio verso la Slovenia per un piccolo viaggio. Vorrei che potessimo essere più di aiuto per te." Elijah's voice comes out as sympathetic, however, his response is not delayed, and I would be surprised if the security lady didn't believe it. I am so sorry, we haven't seen her, unfortunately, we are only passing through, on our way to Slovenia for a little trip. I wish that we could have been more of a help to you.

"Va bene tutti voi. Godetevi le vostre vacanze." The woman smiles at us, and begins to go and ask the next group of people. That is fine y'all. Enjoy your holiday.

I let out a breath I didn't even know I was holding, and we slowly continue our way through the airport. No one else questions us, but a lot of men wearing black clothes walk around, their eyes gazing at some people for too long, to just be looking.

They are searching for me.

Our airplane is due to open for boarding, in ten minutes, and the second we arrive at the chairs, to watch the planes, I sink in the chair, feeling mentally drained, even though I haven't done a lot today. Elijah is next to me straight away, and wraps his arms around my shoulders, trying to comfort me.

After a couple of minutes resting, we join the line, for those who are going to Slovenia with us. I keep my head down the entire time, and soon, my neck begins to increasingly ache. We are towards the front of the line, when I roll my head around, feeling and hearing the satisfying sound of my neck muscles click.

But in the process, the hood of my jacket falls down, exposing my face. I quickly scramble to pull it over my hair again, and look around, asserting the large room for anyone who noticed.

I sigh in relief, and think that everything is fine, and that I am just overreacting. Mr. and Mrs. Jones are now talking to the flight attendant, signing us into the plane, so we can board in a couple of seconds.

My eyes scan the room once more, just making sure that my slip up went unnoticed. That is, until I meet the eyes of a familiar face. Slowly, I look up, making sure that I am not hallucinating, and I pinch myself, so surprised when it hurts slightly.

Elijah watches me do this, and furrows his eyebrows in concern. I then look up at him in fear, taking his hand into mine. To say the least, I am scared, and when I look back to where he was a few seconds ago, I can't seem to spot him.

I swear that I saw Stefano.

A/N: Hey guys!!! Thank you so much for 300k on my other book- the ones I hate the most, and 8.5k on this book. If you enjoyed this chapter, please remember to vote, comment and keep reading. I love you all so much. Byeee <<3