chapter twenty six

Twenty minutes later, I am now inside, sitting on the couch, my body curled upon itself. A cup of hot chocolate sits in my hands, and a blanket is hung loosely over my shoulders. I have changed into an old hoodie of mine, as well as a clean pair of track pants.

I have yet to tell my brothers and father that their mother and ex-wife will be here sometime later today. And I am also too scared to face them, so I am currently hiding in the living room, while they are on the third floor, or being kept occupied in the basement.

I can't help but shiver that, because now, I am fully aware of what they are doing. Does that mean that I sat through several hours of mafia meetings? Does that mean that there are tortured and dead people residing underneath my house?

It is still dawning on me that I am living with psychotic people and that they kill people without feeling bad. I feel horrible if I step on a bug, and my family seems to enjoy the death of (almost) innocent people.

Looking up at the large, old clock, I read the time. 6:33 pm. Holy shit. How has it already been a couple of hours? Time flies by when you are trapped in your mind, I guess...

My mother said her flight would be around now, but I am sure that she somehow convinced the flight coordinator to fit her in. You know, she has connections. I am sure that it can't be a coincidence when the doorbell suddenly rings.

It has never rung, and now that my mother is coming, it has to ring. I am sure that it is her. I jump up from my spot on the sofa, spilling a little bit of hot chocolate down my front, causing me to his in pain, at the burn. Nevertheless, I persist, throwing the blanket from my shoulders, and running to the front door, where the sound came from.

I slam the door open, to see my mother, who looks extremely tired but pleased to see me. She automatically pulls me into a hug, and I let the tears cascade down my cheeks. I know what you are probably thinking, why are you crying? Well, I haven't seen my mother in over a month, and I hope that she can get me out of living with my brothers and father because they are crazy.

If I had to choose Melbourne or Sicily, I would choose Melbourne in a heartbeat... and bring Elijah along with me.

"How did you get here so fast, mama?" I whisper, with my head still stuffed in her chest.

She chuckles before answering. "I demanded to be let on the first flight available and shouted at the pilots for flying too slow. So we ended up nearly crashing dozens of times, but it was totally worth it. Especially to see you."

Suddenly, I hear the sound of footsteps, descending down the stairs, shouting something along the lines of, 'we will be with you in just one second.' I tense up, at the sound of my father's voice, since I have not faced him since I got home.

My mother pushes me behind her, as my father comes into view. A confused look overcomes his face but is quickly covered up with a blank expression.

"Good to see you, Rob. You know, it was very boring in Australia, since you stole my daughter from me." My mother's voice is ice cold, and the tension could be cut with a blunt knife.

"Why are you here, Vivian? I don't remember giving you permission to enter my house."

"My daughter called. She found out about what you and your sons do for a living. She needs me right now. So we will- without any argument, be going back to Melbourne." My mother states, standing up to my father without an inch of fear in her eyes.

Then, the rest of my brothers come downstairs, looking unamused at their mother's presence. They all stand in a line behind my father, crossing their arms over their chest, trying to seem tough.

"My daughter will not be going anywhere with you."

"She is mine I have custody over her."

"Vivian, you will not argue with me. You are in my house."

"Let's take it outside then."

"Enough!" Alexander's voice stops my parent's from their argument. "Can't you see that Amity is upset?"

He was right, a look of terror is spread over my face. Call me a cry baby if you want, but no one ever argued in front of me. My mother was single, and Posey and Mack would just say mean things about me behind my back.

My mother turns around and kisses my tears away, whispering soothing words in my ears. But right now all I want is Elijah and his comfort.

"Please don't fight," I whisper in a small voice.

Everyone silently agrees with my statement, nodding their heads.

"So boys," my father addresses his sons, "Amity discovered what we do for a living. Who gave it away. Xavier, Xander, Marco. You were the only three that were out of the house today."

The three boys look unsure, not sure where they would have run into me.

"Unless Ami was at the mall, we didn't come across her." Xander is the first one to talk.

I soundlessly nod my head, admitting that I was there.

"How about we talk about this like civilized people. Why don't we have a family dinner? Does that sound okay?" Alec asks, trying to stop the tension.

My mother turns around, to face me, and I shake my head aggressively, not wanting to be anywhere near these murderers.

"We will do it."

I look at my mother like she is crazy, but don't insert my opinion out of pure fear of getting hurt.

"Great." Alec smiles and begins leading us through the house until we are in the dining room. I sit as far away as I can, connecting my hand with my mother's.

"So, please start from the beginning, Ami, how did you find out. And do not lie." My father says, remaining stoic.

"Um, I was at work after school when we got told to get down. I, uh... heard Xavier." I decide that now is a good time to look down at my fingers. "I heard the gunshot and his small speech after. My co-worker had no choice, but to explain everything to me. I then used my friend's phone to call mama. And she decided that she should come here. Please don't hurt me."

My statement sounds so cringy when I say it out loud. I almost get second-hand embarrassment.

"There was more than one thing wrong with that. Number one, why are you working? You are only fifteen. Number two, your co-worker explained everything to you. That means that you know what will happen to them. And number three, why didn't you use your own phone. Instead of a friend's. And this friend had better not be a boy." My dad says strictly.

I don't have a reasonable answer for any of the questions. All of them will just arise in new queries. Someone knocks on the dining room door. A middle-age maid walks in, several pizza boxes are in her hands.

"Ho la pizza che hai ordinato, don." I have the pizza that you ordered, don.

This is going to be a very awkward family dinner.

A/N: Hey guys! Thank you so much for reading. If you enjoyed this chapter, please remember to vote, comment and keep reading when I get another chapter out tomorrow night. I love you all and hope that you continue reading. Also, thank you so much for 6.4k reads, it means the world to me!! Byeeee <<<3