Nostalgic Memories and First Phone Call

Memories

Memories. Aren't they the most beautiful part of one's life? One of the rare things that always stay with you. Nostalgia. Isn't that the best feeling indeed? Any slightest possession or place ignites these feelings in just a snap of the fingers. For Harleen, the situation was quite befitting today as she was standing in her hometown. All the memories from her school and childhood came flooding back to her. It has been two years since she stopped visiting this place.

Engrossed in work, she didn't realise when she grew so distant from her own land. The one which beheld her numerous laughs, tears and memories. Everything seemed to hit her like a storm today. The nostalgia kicked in as the cab moved further introducing her to the same old landmarks and hangouts.

A smile engulfed her lips as she felt the breeze kissing her face soothing her skin to inexpressible comfort. Her smile grew wider as she passed Brink's Pizza- her hangout place where she spend many beautiful hours with her beloved school friends.

An immense wave of memories hit her as she passed by the street of her coaching class - the one which held numerous ups and downs of her life. It was indeed a huge part of life. A lone tear escaped her eye as she reminisced about her teacher. The one who truly treated her impartially unlike the other teachers who always favoured her for being the topper of the class. That was something that made her adore the teacher to greater heights, so much so that she ended up making him her favourite teacher. For her, he actually had started resembling a father figure.

Breaking her trance of memories, her phone buzzed flashing Maa at the caller ID.

"Yeah, Ma. I've reached." She answered over the phone.

"Great. The keys are with Mr. Sharma. Make sure to clean your feet after coming home. I really wish I was there, kiddo!" She chuckled at the instructions her mother gave her.

"Yeah, Ma. Don't worry. Enjoy with Aunt. Ba-bye!" She chirped before hanging up.

"Take care, child. Bye!" Her mother replied and hung up.

"We've reached ma'am." The cab driver alerted her. On his statement, she snapped her head to her right to look at the huge building she spent all her childhood in.

"Thanks for the ride, uncle. Have a good day!" She said getting off the cab and handing him over the money. The aged cab driver was taken aback by her remark as he was not used to hearing something like this from his customers but instead passed her a sweet genuine smile at her nice gesture.

Striding off to the massive building, she inhaled a deep breath. The smell of fresh marigolds filled her nostrils calming her racing heart. Marigolds. Her mother's favourite. She had planted all of these here on her own. Needless to say, she was a passionate person about gardening especially when it came to growing flowers.

Too bad she wasn't awaiting her today at the door. Much to her dismay, Harleen's mom was chilling with her Aunt today who happened to be a little too sick that she needed somebody by her side to take care of her. The real deal was she had broken her leg attempting cycling at the age of 60, and now the unending pain was not so bearable for her and she needed somebody to take her mind off of it. What's better than gossiping with her gossip partner? Her father was a smitten man who never let her wife be away from him for a second and so he was in the same place as hers.