Starry Night and Ghosts of Past

| TW : PANIC ATTACK, ANXIETY I

Night sky clad with starry illumination twinkling in stellar grace surrounding the lunar crescent shining in loneliness, somehow made Daksh relate himself with the moon in the sky above. Seated on his garden swing, dressed in a black tee and gray sweatpants, with his back resting on the backrest of the comfortable swing, he had his gaze fixed over the bejeweled starry night sky. Wasn't he just like the lunar object up there? Surrounded by many, yet alone. Heck, he didn't have his own shine as well. No matter how much he hung out with his friends and kept himself busy with his work, there was this suffocating void he would always have to make peace with at the end of the day. 

Seven years. Wasn't it a long time? His whole world had turned upside down, seven years back. Battling depression and suicidal thoughts for two years, he sure had managed to get out of it but still, this devouring loneliness and the haunting memories of the past weren't something he loved being in. He had made peace with it long back. He had accepted that life isn't fair, it isn't all rosy as they show in movies or novels. The harsh reality of life is that it kicks you right on your ass, when you least expect it, when you least want it. Wasn't his life perfect too, before all the demons feasted upon it, leaving no room for peace?

Why was his mother visiting this town, now? Why did she have to come back? Wasn't ruining his family enough for her? Breaking her children into broken souls, was it not enough for her? 

He scoffed, reminiscing her words from the other day, "I never wanted to ruin anything, Daksh. I'm your mother, I have my full right to take care of you."  Care? Maybe, she should have exercised this right of hers, a few years back and they wouldn't be here today. A happy family is a myth, whoever said it, said it right. A happy family, indeed is a myth. 

Sighing, he closed his eyes feeling the burning irritation within them, as if the ghosts of the past were parading in the memory lane of his mind and burning him with every step they were taking. Not being able to hold it anymore, he opened his eyes only to breathe heavily this time around. Come on, not now. He told himself, but the palpitations of his heart betraying him, did what they were best at. His breath rushed up, with a fear-invoking feeling gripping his heart gradually yet tightly. Feeling heavy in his chest, he breathed panicking, telling himself it will be over before he knows. 

No, it won't. Fuck, I need to call her. 

Searching for the number of his therapist, he tried concentrating on his contact list, holding the phone with his shaky hands, and breathing with his open mouth. With a red face and terrified state of mind, he ended up dialing someone else's number, as if his tachycardia struck heart had a mind of his own and his fingers followed it a little too crazily.

Before he could cut the call, the caller responded, "Hello." 

As if her honey-laced voice was all he needed to break the dam of his eyes, dropping the salty pearls on his cheek. Too timid to cut the call, he slid down the swing to sit on the grass, silently trying to calm himself to respond.