Leaving Again and Mending Things

Daksh paced back and forth outside the airport waiting for his friends to finish up the medical mess they were pulled in

Daksh paced back and forth outside the airport waiting for his friends to finish up the medical mess they were pulled in. All the while, his mind was preoccupied with her thoughts. Harleen. Seven years it has been. They last talked seven years ago in the same month of October. The awkwardness in the air was so visible that even a kid could have figured it out pretty well.

"Why are you a whole different person on texts?" she messaged him.

To say he was taken aback by her question was an understatement. He couldn't seem to figure out what actually was so different about him when he conversed on texts. He was still funny and flirtatious as usual, or wasn't he?

"What do you mean?" he quickly typed away.

"I mean.. you talk deep on texts. Back in school, all you do is feign arrogance and narcissism." he could imagine her rolling her eyes at him, a smile hugging his lips at the mere thoughts.

"Oh. I talk deep? How deep! ;)" he messaged back.

"Nevermind, I was crazy a minute ago. You are, were, and will always be a pervert!" her angry text made him laugh so hard as he imagined her round face turning red.

"Don't worry missy! I'll be any version for you. XD"

He definitely didn't mean this cold version of his when he told her that. He hated how he ruined everything out of his stupidity. Just a stupid belief and misunderstanding, and he was caught up in all of it. Was it really necessary? What if he could have remained just a friend to her and saved all these seven years from the hurt and pain they both were carrying?

Engulfed in his thoughts, he didn't seem to notice when a black Hyundai stopped in front of him. The window rolled down to expose Harleen's domestic face which was void of makeup and sported a messy bun. He always liked her messy buns and she was wearing an oversized shirt as well today. Just what she always told him was her comfort clothing.

"Daksh?" Aakash patted his back, causing him to come out of his trance.

"Yeah. Let's get in." He said covering up his daze. Getting seated on the seat beside her, he let the couple take the backseat to take care of Mihika better. He looked to his right stealthily to have a good look at her who was busy driving on the calm and quiet road. Her hands were gripping the steering wheel firmly and her raven eyes which were veiled by a heavy-rimmed frame were fixated on the road ahead of her. A few strands of her loose messy buns were falling on her face which she was every now and then placing at the back of her ear.

He snapped out of his gaze realizing how his one glancing led to a full checkout session. She sure had grown beautiful. She always was. She just never acknowledged it.

"So, guys wanna crash at my house? No one's there as of now and Mihika can rest for a bit there. It's nearer too than all of your homes. Once she's fine, I'll drop you guys at home. Cool?" She glanced back briefly asking them while catching a stealthy glance from her peripheral vision at Daksh.