Chapter 14

Lisa's POV

"Irene." Jennie whispered. Still holding Ella in her arms, she walked towards the almost naked girl and hugged her tightly. I felt my chest ache like it was stabbed by a thousand knives. Who was she?

"Wow! Jen! Don't tell me you have been hiding this cute child from us all along?" She said as she took a closer look at Ella's sleeping form. "She's so cute!" The sudden pain in my chest disappeared based on her reaction as if she wasn't a threat at all.

"Don't be silly sis, this is Ella, Lisa's sister. Isn't she adorable?"

Sis... My goodness... I actually got jealous of her sister. And I don't even have the right to feel that way since we're just friends. "Lily... I'd like you to meet my favorite sister, Irene."

"I'm your only sibling you idiot!" Irene responded. "Hello Lisa, I hope my crazy sister is treating you well. I know about her damn reputation but this is the first time that she actually introduced someone to me, so I'm glad that someone finally tamed her. Just let me know if she breaks your heart and I'll break her neck." My mouth is agape at her words. I was about to correct her when Jennie interrupted me.

"Hmm! It's not like that."

"Oh don't be shy little sister. I'm really so happy for you."

"We're not like that. We're just friends." There was it again, the sudden pain in my heart at the mention of the word friend.

"Would you please put some clothes on?" Jennie said from behind as she tucked Ella on the couch.

"Why? Afraid that I might steal your girl?"

"For the thousand time, she's not my girl, dammit." Then again, I felt my heart just got stabbed. What's wrong with me?

"Since she's not your girl, then you won't mind me making a move on her?" Irene asked. I can't tell if she was just joking or trying to hit a nerve but I'm sure I don't like Jennie's expression... As if she wanted to lash out.

"Do what you want. I'm going out for a while." Jennie gave me a look in which I can't describe and then walked away from the unit leaving me alone with her sister.

Irene's POV

I laughed internally as Jennie walked out from the door. She can't really take a joke. The fact that she actually walked away from me proves that she really likes this girl.

"So... Lisa... Is it?" I asked as I circled around her as if I was checking her. Looking at the girl, she was beyond gorgeous. My little sister sure knows how to pick a woman. "What's holding you back? It's not like my sister's not a good catch."

"I don't deserve her." She said without moving from her spot.

"That's bullshit. There's no such thing. Love is love." I said. "Was it the money?" She didn't reply And based on her reaction I was partly right. Or was she giving a great act. I have pretty good skills in reading people. It's part of my training as the next CEO of our company.

"Yes." She finally admits. "I don't wanna be labeled as a gold digger and..." She paused a little, I knew there is more to it but she opted to keep it to herself. "And that's all."

"And how do I know you're not acting hard to get?" I pushed.

"You can't." Then I noticed that she started to shake, her breath becoming short while her hand was on her chest. I might have pushed too hard.

"Hey... Hey... I'm just testing you. Come on sit down." I guided her to the chair. "In all honesty, we don't really care if you're poor or rich. If you can make my sister happy then I'm happy." I assured her.

"I like your sister a lot. She is very kind, gentle and sweet... She has all the qualities that a girl could ask for." She started. I took a bottle of mineral water from the fridge and gave it to her. "But I don't deserve her... I'm..." She drank directly from the bottle before she gave her final words that kept me puzzled. "I'm dirty."

Jennie's POV

What the hell am I thinking walking away from Lisa leaving her with my sister? I'm such a fool! And I only realized it when I was at least six blocks away. Stupid. Stupid me.

And to add the salt to the wound, I didn't bring anything. I have no wallet, ID or keys. I can be shot dead in this very alley and nothing could be used to identify me. I'll be Jane Doe and will probably be donated to some science school for research.

"Fuck! I'm so screwed up. I shouldn't have let Irene push my buttons." But knowing my sister, I knew she wouldn't make a move on Lisa. I knew her type, she preferred older women. She was forced to come out when she was in junior year when she got caught having sex with her female science teacher who was at least a decade older than her. Poor teacher was jailed for statutory rape.

I then decided to go back home since I was really tired from our little date. Lily, Ella and I. We had so much fun. It made me think of life ahead of me. Will I be a good mother? I'm not fond of tiny humans, all they did was cry and cry and poop. But ever since Ella came into my life, my preference changed. But hell no, I'm not going to carry it. Would Lily carry my baby? I really can't imagine my life without her.

As I walked towards the house, sirens were heard from miles away. Then police, ambulance, and fire fighters passed by. I looked around and saw a huge ball of light from the other side of the city up towards the hill side. I knew that place. It was owned by the Grecko family, one of the most influential families in the city.

I decided to walk away, it's not my business.

And as I passed one alley, I heard faint footsteps and cries. My curiosity had gotten into me so I took a peak. "Hello?" There was no reply. "Is someone here?" I asked again. I shrugged it off, maybe I was just imagining.

But then there was a cry.

The sound of an infant crying.

I ran towards the sound and there I saw a lady, barely alive. The flickering light from the nearby lamp as well as the moon was the only source of light but I still see her. Her white nurse uniform was drenched with blood. "Help." She said in a faint voice as the infant kept on crying. "Please help her." She begged.

"Stay still... I'll call the police." I replied. But she insisted.

"There's no time... They're looking for her... Please help her." She used her last bit of strength in order to push the infant to me. I don't know what kind of magic she did to me that I was made to take the child. "Help her." Then there were more footsteps from far and faint voices. "They're here... Please run!"

"Over here! I hear cries." Then the footsteps became nearer. The infant crying wasn't helping the situation.

"Run! Please! Run!" She begged as she took her last breath.

Fear and panic overcome me as I held the crying baby in my arms. She was so small. I got into fights a lot but I knew that this was the fight that I needed to avoid. I took the one best solution.

I ran.

I ran with the child crying in my arms.

I ran without looking back and blended with the crowd...