. 9 the azerbaijan grand prix

1 step forward, 3 steps back
Olivia Rodrigo

Eventually, all great things must come to an end. And so did their spontaneous sleepover in Monaco. She loved spending the week with Max and Daniel, they got even closer and she really considers them some of her best friends now. 

On monday night, she flew out to Baku with the rest of the team. Because it's a double header, they had to start preparing for the race even earlier. Max and Daniel stayed behind at his place a few more days, enjoying their driver's perks. 

Today is thursday, in the formula one world known as media day. But an unexpected heavy storm ruined the plans and the FIA decided to cancel the day at the circuit. So this morning, she was suddenly granted a surprising day off. 

Not really sure what to do with this free day, she heads over to breakfast. It's not like she can go out and explore the city, as it is hailing outside. Walking in the room, a cheerful Aussie waves her over to his table.

"Hey Meads! Got any plans today?"

 She sits down at his table, "Goodmorning Daniel. I don't, no. Why?"

He smiles at her. "Do you wanna join me and Heidi today? We're getting a tour of the castle!"

The idea sounds really fun, but she declines anyway. She would hate to intrude on one of their dates again, which is what she tells him. 

"Don't worry about that," he says, "another friend of mine is coming as well, so you're not intruding."

It takes a little more convincing, but eventually she agrees to join the couple's plans today. Surely it's better than being stuck in the hotel all day. 

When they finish breakfast, they agree to meet eachother back in lobby in twenty minutes. Meadow quickly rushes upstairs to change and to do her make up for the day. Just in time, she walks back to the elevator at the end of the hallway. While she's waiting, she realises that she completely forgot to ask who the other person that's joining them, is. Although, if they're a friend of Daniel, she will surely like them too.

The elevator reaches the lobby, and the doors open slowly. Immediately, she spots Daniel and Heidi standing there, but her stomach drops when she sees who's with them. 

'The friend' is none other than the infamous Lando Norris. 

For a split second, she contemplates turning around and going back to her room. But the decision is ruled out straight away, when Heidi spots her and waves her over. 

"Hey Meadow! So good to see you again!" Daniel's girlfriend greets her with a warm hug. The last time they saw eachother was in Italy, where Daniel introduced them. They have a lot to catch up on, while they leave the hotel to get in the car waiting outside.

The atmosphere in there is slightly awkward, Meadow keeps the conversation with Heidi going so she doesn't have to aknowledge Lando. She hopes that nobody notices her strange behaviour, but they don't seem to mind. Daniel hasn't caught on yet, because he's chatting animatedly with Lando. And Lando himself hasn't made any move to even look her way, so he won't mind.

The ride doesn't take them very long, as the streets are almost completely cleared out in anticipation of the grand prix this weekend. And also because of the heavy rainfall, obviously. As they reach the castle, they see their guide waiting for them at the gates.

"Goodmorning everyone! It's my honour to lead you around this morning!"he cheers, "My name is Ali, it's very nice to meet you!" 

Their group introduces themselves as well, even though Daniel and Lando obviously need no introduction.